[Phones!] Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones - repairable?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aj
pushin' record

[Phones!] Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones - repairable?

Post by Aj » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am

Seems those AT ATH-M50's have become pretty popular around here these last few years. I'm getting sick of trying to solder that crazy plast-o-wire in all my 7506 cans every time an end gets lopped off or the left-side goes intermittent on a client.

So how easy to repair, solder, etc. are the AT cans? Anyone want to chime in on durability and DIY serviceability in the field? I like being able to fix the things I buy. :)

Aj
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

leftoverking
gettin' sounds

Post by leftoverking » Fri May 10, 2013 8:19 am

i can't speak for the ath-m50's but about seven years ago i bought five pairs of ath m30's for my home studio because they were on sale, and i wanted the band i was working with to all be listening on the same set of cans. they are all still working great. very durable. they have survived countless episodes of people ripping them off their heads causing the backs to clack together (why is it that folks can't just carefully remove their phones rather than tearing them off as if they were about to escape a burning building?) they have been yanked, and cranked, and all still work fine. i have been very impressed. and i like the cord feature they have with the built in threaded 1/4 to mini stereo adapter.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri May 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I've been using an ATHm50 for the last 4 years or so, and it's getting fussy--seems like the cord might be starting to come loose. Haven't tried fixing it yet.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I really want to know: Has anyone tried opening these up and repairing them? Is there easy access to the inside? What's the wiring like? Is it decent electronics-grade cabling? Does it solder well? Can the drivers be swapped quickly if one blows?

One thing I've learned... no matter how durable, phones are going to break eventually, and usually at the worst possible time - especially when clients are using them. Someone's going to drop them, step on them, rip out the cord, etc.

In other words, I'm expecting whatever phones I buy to break. And I want to fix them, not throw another $100 out the window when that happens. Thus I'm hoping to switch to a brand that are easier to repair than my Sony 7506s. These AT cans are my top candidate (so far!). Should I look elsewhere?

Aj

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Bumpin' this... anyone opened a pair of these cans?