Colours

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 am

When I was an undergrad, one of my classmates in a Max programming class had synaesthesia - for her final project she programmed a patch that, when fed a monophonic input, would show the color her synaesthesia 'produced' for her.

It was really, really cool.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

gavintheaudioengineer
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by gavintheaudioengineer » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 am

When I was an undergrad, one of my classmates in a Max programming class had synaesthesia - for her final project she programmed a patch that, when fed a monophonic input, would show the color her synaesthesia 'produced' for her.

It was really, really cool.
I would LOVE to see this program- I'm guessing it's lost in the depths of some PC somewhere...
"When you can't find the solution, you can always admire the problem."

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 am

Visible light is pretty much exactly 40 octaves up in frequency according to the tuning reference which was in use a good bit before the 20th century and this tuning system was related to earth geometry and sizes, incorporating the circumference of the earth, the moon, the sun, orbital velocity, etc.etc.- I read a book about the source of measures and it went into this for a few pages... I'm sure you'd find something about it on the net. F now = 349.23 (with A= 440Hz)
F then =372.52 Hz x 40 oct. = 4.095 (14th degree) Hz = the color red, shortly after infrared. If you want me to I'll scan the page in the book.

L?Andratt
audio school graduate

Post by L?Andratt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:14 am

Hello,

Purple is tied to velvet, because it is a colour, that originally was extracted from some very rare snail or something and kings used to colour their velvet coats with it, it?s a ?royal? colour.

When I was studying illustration, I learned a lot about the psychology of colour, which is mostly culture-dependent. IIRC purple was an ambivalent colour, containing at the same time female(red) as male(blue). When lighted up with white, it get?s more ?culturally restricted?/asexual, like light blue and pink, with associations of children and safety. Darkend with black it get?s more, well, what you?re thinking :roll:
Of course there?s much more to it.

Make of it what you will, I just know the advertising industry is using such stuff succesfully.