Best Vintage LP Copy Under $400?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lightandmind
pushin' record

Best Vintage LP Copy Under $400?

Post by lightandmind » Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Despite all of the documented info on this subject, I'm STILL having trouble trying to find a slim-neck, vintage LP-style body without a bolt-on neck that I like. Electra seemed promising, ("Super Rock" series?), but the Omega necks are like friggin' baseball bats. Looking at the Vantage VP750 "Ghost" and other MIJ's as well, but ANYthing that's well-made, really.

NO BASEBALL-BAT NECKS, lol!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I have a old Ibanez gold-top, and it's sweet.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 am

Try Univox lots of slim necks from them...but good luck finding any decent set neck lp copy sub $400.

I wouldn't get hung up on the neck joint.

If you're looking for a Gibson clone burny tokai and Edwards are all great guitars. But the prices reflect that so you can at least double your $400.

Orville, is essentially gibson Japan, and would be worth checking out.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 am

Ibanez Artist series. They're not the LP body shape, but that's about the only difference. I have a '77 that beats pretty much anything else from that era. It would be hard to find one for $400 now. I just saw one on the local craigslist that could probably be had for $500 though.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3811933221.html

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 am

i've got an "Aria Pro II" copy of a custom LP. it was about 400 I think. It's solid as a rock, def the best lp copy I've held. It also has the real gibson headstock shape, before they changed it. I think mine is a 76 or around then.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 am

Agiles are great, although probably not identical. Check rondomusic.com. I've played one of their SG styled guitars (maybe discontinued now?) for several years, and I think it's wonderful.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 am

Spend $100 more for the Epiphone Les Paul tribute. A friend just got a sunburst flame top with a super thin neck. Grover tuners, quality construction and parts, even the pickups are good.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 am

A buddy of mine swears by his Dillion LP copy. New they are probably a bit more than $500, but not by much. Used ones should be available for that.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Agile makes pretty awesome LP copies. I don't know if it is a like vintage LP or not but I have an Agile LP copy and it is a great guitar.

Here is slim neck version similar to the one I have. Mines not slim neck though.
http://www.rondomusic.com/AL-3010SEBKSLIM.HTML

Here is some of their features
Solid mahogany (not a multi-ply) arch top body
Slim neck profile for ease of play
High quality Canadian flame maple top (100% real wood top-not a photo top)
Bound body, neck, and headstock
Chrome die-cast Grover tuners with 18-1 turning ratio for ultra fine tuning (Model 102-18N)
Two Type V Alnico humbucker pickups for that warm, traditional sound (Humbucker pickups help reduce hum and noise, and offer superior performance by giving a thicker fuller sound than single coils. Humbuckers also create a much larger magnetic field, which helps eliminate dead spots and increases overall power of the pickup.)
High voltage with brass shaft pots for reduced noise and an improved pickup selector switch
Two volume and two tone controls, plus a three way pickup selector switch
Agile BM-003 wide throw tune-O-matic bridge
Ebony fretboard with 22 Jumbo Frets and real Abalone trapezoidal inlays
This spectacular guitar features D'addario 10-46 strings installed at the factory along with a professionally cut Graph Tech Tusq Nut
Individually hand filed frets for professional feel and playability

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Man, these are REALLY awesome posts fellas, I cannot thank you all enough, really.

I am LOVING the Aria Pro II PE series body styles,,

,,, which is probably because I love the Greco Zemaitis body style so very very much, (http://x16img.peps.jp/uimg/b/bbfm/95/cpldh4zvqfA.gif), but anything that's solid and inexpensive would just a little mojo would be incredibly rad. Thank you so very much gentleman for helping make an informed decision on my buy. Sadly, I will be parting with a real LP to actually fund the purchase for a copy, (and probably some decent pick-ups), as I simply cannot make-love to this thing, (http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/3811827095.html).

You guys are awesome.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 am

You already have the Les Paul. You can easily shave the neck down and re-finish it for far less than $400.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 am

kuene wrote:i've got an "Aria Pro II" copy of a custom LP. it was about 400 I think. It's solid as a rock, def the best lp copy I've held. It also has the real gibson headstock shape, before they changed it. I think mine is a 76 or around then.
The Aria and Vantage guitars from '78-'80 are amazing IME/O; made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan.

The pickups are incredible, pure Gibson quality and mojo, and the guitars are super solid. Even the dual cutaways have amazing LP tone, you can't lose with those guitars. Even the Matsumoku basses rock.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue May 21, 2013 11:46 am

I just have to chime in here for a second with a little detour (not a hijacking). Go play a Reverend Charger HB. Seriously. If you switch back and forth between Gibson and Fender scale-length guitars (as I do), this is a no-brainer for AWESOME ROCK SOUNDS.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/charger-hb/

I own a 2006 Buckshot (with a SD Little '59 for Tele in the bridge) and a 2009 Flatroc, and let me tell you, these guitars absolutely rule. I would love to have that Charger HB as well. We can't won everything, though.

Around $750, but they come up for under $500 from time to time on ebay.

Carry on with the Les Paul copy talk.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

I love Electras. I have about six of them. Might be selling one soon actually. That Aria PE is also a fine guitar. A bandmate had one, and it was fun as heck to play. A little heavy but Les Pauls are as well.

Edit: the one I'm selling is bolt-on/baseball bat, sorry. :oops:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Jim Williams wrote:You already have the Les Paul. You can easily shave the neck down and re-finish it for far less than $400.
8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.