The 1073 based pres around $1500

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

The 1073 based pres around $1500

Post by Wagz » Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 pm

So, after listening to a lot of pre's I've really been leaning toward 1073 and 1073 based modules (great river, Aurora, BAE, vintech) but now I have a problem.. I moved a couple thousand miles away from where I had access to that stuff and now have to save up and buy something I like for myself.

I'm thinking in a few months I need to buy a good dual channel pre. I'm thinking my budget will be about $1500 (new or used). Now aside from a vintech 273 are there anything in that price range that hit pretty close to a 1073 based pre?

I've been wandering around ebay lately and a vintech rarely pops up.. Great rivers are great as well, but I doubt I'd be able to find one below $2k

was wondering what y'alls thoughts were.

~j
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 am

The Vintech's are great pres for the price. I wouldn't say they sound quite like real neves but they sound pretty good and the build quality is pretty sturdy, plus they seem to hold a good bit of resale value (as long as you buy them used in the first place). I'd hold out for a used one, I don't think you'll do better at $1500 unless you're ready to build your own.

My personal favorite Neve clone is the AML one, but it's almost that much money for a single channel (with EQ at least) without even a power supply. http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... _info.html. The Brent Averill ones are fantastic too, but again much more expensive.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue May 21, 2013 8:52 am

GAP 73 = $350

Jensen JT-123 output transformer = $108

Carnhill input transformer = under $100.

Set of tantalum caps = $10

Amount saved = $1000

Sonic difference = not worth worrying about, unless you need 'the name' on the gear to sell your room.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Tue May 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Jim Williams wrote:GAP 73 = $350

Amount saved = $1000

Sonic difference = not worth worrying about, unless you need 'the name' on the gear to sell your room.
:worthy:

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Jim Williams wrote:GAP 73 = $350

Amount saved = $1000

/\/\/\/\ This /\/\/\/\
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Tue May 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I believe zenproaudio sells a fully modded version of the gap73 for somewhere around 600 which would save some clowning around

Haven't heard or used it, but remember talking with Warren about it some time back.

Regards

Jon

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Tue May 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah, I've found I really like the Vintech's. They don't handle transients quite the same as an original 73 and the eq is a bit different as well. Would actually find myself preferring the vintech over the 73 on snare a fair bit though.

Heard about the GAP 73 but I've been a little wary about buying one since I've never really gotten a chance to hear them. Money wise it seems almost too good to be true. So that I would love to hear.

Anyone ever get to play with the mohog stuff?
http://mohogaudio.com/products.html

Those AML's look pretty nice, especially with some eq to play with (the vintech 273 eq is a bit limited) Almost tempted to get a lunchbox.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed May 22, 2013 8:08 am

All of those use the Neve 'ring of three' designs. The rest is window dressing.

Want faster transients? Bypass the el or tant caps with Wima .01uf MKP-2's.

Or use something else.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm

If you can add another 5-600 there's a guy on Gearslutz with an Aurora GTQ2 for $2100.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Wed May 22, 2013 10:40 pm

oooh, The Aurora is a gorgeous sounding piece of equipment. Would definitely go after that if I had the money.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 am

I haven't had the chance to compare it to an original 1073 so my opinion might not be as valid here, but I've had the BAE 1073MPF for over a year now and that thing has been incredible. It has a nice slowness to it that has helped control the transient of a snare drum (and add thickness without being muddy) in a way that has been game-changing for me when it comes to mixdown. The DI is also amazing, and I rarely like DIs. For bass namely, I've always preferred a miced amp, and while I'm still generally using that, the BAE's DI is one of the only I've used in final mixes. It's also been equally as useful for vocals. It almost feels like there's a very slight built-in compressor or limiter (and I'm not generally cranking it) which has been a dream for mixing.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Make sure to check what version the Vintechs are. There was some pretty significant changes to them years back in which there was a transformer change and circuit modification. I have a current model X73i and it is brighter/more forward sounding than the older Vintechs I have used.

Five Fish Audio makes some affordable Neve based units, the opamp circuity is different however.

I also own a BAE 1084 and agree that the slowness is nice on snares (I used it on snare for mix down yesterday actually). However, I would also agree with the users out there who claim that the BAE is a very dark unit and the top end isnt as detailed as some other 1084 "clones". This makes it awesome on distorted guitars though.

My next Neve copy purchase will definitely be a Heritage Audio unit though. Havent used them in person but in the sound demos I've been able to find it doesnt have the tubbyness of the BAE.

But thats me.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I have the AML 5003D (500 series preamp only). Does it sounds great? yes. Does it sound like a Neve? hell if I know?

I use it all the time on electric guitars and it sounds great on vocals. I used it with a Radial JDI for bass it was perfect too.

You can get these at VK now-- http://vintageking.com/aml-5003d I ordered mine directly awhile back. That was easy and I got a pretty good deal, however be aware that you will get a follow-up bill from the importer/exporter for additional fees (I learned something there!).

I also have a pair of Vintech 573's. I use them for a wide variety of stuff too. I once compared them to my A-Designs P1's on drum overheads and honestly could not hear a lot of difference - maybe the P1's were a little tighter in the low end?. I liked them both.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Yeah, everything would sound a bit different. I'm not sure what year the vintech I used was. It was decent compared to an original. Not the same but pretty darn nice. Every one that uses that style of circuitry all sound a bit different, but good in their own right.

I am just more curious what's out there in that price range. There's just so much in that range and so little of it I have gotten to play with.

A Design's are nice. Got to play with an MP-2 a little while back.

Kelly, how would I check the version?

oh, and digitaldrummer, your link was broken. Makes me sad.

There are days I'm tempted to get a 500 lunchbox. But I have so many friends who have power supply issues with a lot of their two slot rackmount units.. Same with the old API.. so I'd be more tempted to go for the radial... bit more of an upfront price if I wanted to get a couple units to go with it as well.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

VK link fixed...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com