You're Playing Too Loud?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 am

I been waiting for someone to specifically mention the obvious, but pick vs. fingers makes a huge difference - so huge that I have forced myself, blisters be damned (and I get 'em every weekend), to only play with fingers, unless a pick is actually required for the part (ex., "chugs" or pedals where articulation is needed, some lead-type riffs, sometimes on slide-bass where the attack can help establish the rhythm).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:38 pm

vvv wrote:I been waiting for someone to specifically mention the obvious, but pick vs. fingers makes a huge difference - so huge that I have forced myself, blisters be damned (and I get 'em every weekend), to only play with fingers, unless a pick is actually required for the part (ex., "chugs" or pedals where articulation is needed, some lead-type riffs, sometimes on slide-bass where the attack can help establish the rhythm).
IN the band where I play bass I use fingers except for 1.5 songs where the pick sound really makes the most sense. The song where I use it the whole time is meant to sound like the first Joe Jackson record, the one where I use it on the chorus is to sound like early Uncle Tupelo. Otherwise, it's all fingers!!!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Soundin' like Graham Maby is a excellent reason! Tweedy, too, I reckon.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 pm

vvv wrote:Soundin' like Graham Maby is a excellent reason! Tweedy, too, I reckon.
2 of my favorite musicians!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 am

Curiously, while I've seen Maby a few times, I've never been to see Tweedy perform, altho' I drank with him, used to be friendly with his FOH guy (Stan, who mixed Kicking Televisions) and knew his wife and went to and played at her club many times over the years, (all back in the 80's and 90's, of course).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 pm

vvv wrote:Curiously, while I've seen Maby a few times, I've never been to see Tweedy perform, altho' I drank with him, used to be friendly with his FOH guy (Stan, who mixed Kicking Televisions) and knew his wife and went to and played at her club many times over the years, (all back in the 80's and 90's, of course).
I only had conversations with Mrs Tweedy before she was Mrs Tweedy. Sufice it to say I am NOT a fan.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Yeah, a tough one, she was. Back at that time, I was friends with Gary S. ("Elvis"), so I didn't get much static from her, but ... Did y'know her partner was D'Arcy's sister? They all had worked at Fencik's West End, and then the Cubby Bear for a short while ...

I loved that bar, but the neighbors there didn't.

Girl had some impressive hips, too. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 am

vvv wrote:Yeah, a tough one, she was. Back at that time, I was friends with Gary S. ("Elvis"), so I didn't get much static from her, but ... Did y'know her partner was D'Arcy's sister? They all had worked at Fencik's West End, and then the Cubby Bear for a short while ...

Didn't Gary Elvis pass away a few years ago? He kept that joint rockin'! I saw a ton of shows there, but kind of hated the place. I'm sure my dealings with Sue didn't help that opinion. There was a waitress who never wore a bra (not sexy on her) who used to bump into me several times a night. I'm not sure if it was a kindergarten like "I like you" or (much more likely) she was pissy that I never drank.

I did see a shit ton of great shows there though. I saw one of the first Wilco shows ever there.

I didn't know about D'Arcy's sister, but it does explain the early drum machine Pumpkins landing gigs there.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I heard a while back, and have come to believe, that the bass is bassier when played quietly. I guess it brings out the fundamental more and less overtones?
in my experience this is true. similar to how a bass drum or tom will be much bassier if you just tap on it rather than hit it hard.

one of my long time clients is a world class bass player, and watching him play, he is usually barely hitting the strings with his right hand. gets a huge fat deep tone, and doesn't usually need any compression to sit just fine in the mix.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:26 pm

drumsound wrote:
vvv wrote:Yeah, a tough one, she was. Back at that time, I was friends with Gary S. ("Elvis"), so I didn't get much static from her, but ... Did y'know her partner was D'Arcy's sister? They all had worked at Fencik's West End, and then the Cubby Bear for a short while ...

Didn't Gary Elvis pass away a few years ago? He kept that joint rockin'! I saw a ton of shows there, but kind of hated the place. I'm sure my dealings with Sue didn't help that opinion. There was a waitress who never wore a bra (not sexy on her) who used to bump into me several times a night. I'm not sure if it was a kindergarten like "I like you" or (much more likely) she was pissy that I never drank.

I did see a shit ton of great shows there though. I saw one of the first Wilco shows ever there.

I didn't know about D'Arcy's sister, but it does explain the early drum machine Pumpkins landing gigs there.
He was real sick circa '96, but I just found a recent credit for him, here. I'm so out of touch with all of those people - it's been years since I ran with that crowd (I married in '96 and moved to the 'burbs), but I had not heard he passed - I hope he hasn't. He actually kinda set me up onna date once, and she was pretty good-lookin', even. :twisted:

Yeah, I saw great shows there, also, and I hope played a good one or two! My fave was always 11th Dream Day (trans-fucking-cendent), whom Gary did the sound for, and The New Duncan Imperials (whom I met him thru when they were The Service).

And y'know, I've heard that drum machine story many times, but I always thought they played their first gigs at Avalon, with Jimmy, (whom I knew from JP & the Cats). Did you actually see 'em at L-Axe? I used to buy Billy beers there (Miller Lites at Avalon), because he was a nice guy and always seemingly pretty broke ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

vvv wrote:
drumsound wrote:

He was real sick circa '96, but I just found a recent credit for him, here. I'm so out of touch with all of those people - it's been years since I ran with that crowd (I married in '96 and moved to the 'burbs), but I had not heard he passed - I hope he hasn't. He actually kinda set me up onna date once, and she was pretty good-lookin', even. :twisted:

Yeah, I saw great shows there, also, and I hope played a good one or two! My fave was always 11th Dream Day (trans-fucking-cendent), whom Gary did the sound for, and The New Duncan Imperials (whom I met him thru when they were The Service).

And y'know, I've heard that drum machine story many times, but I always thought they played their first gigs at Avalon, with Jimmy, (whom I knew from JP & the Cats). Did you actually see 'em at L-Axe? I used to buy Billy beers there (Miller Lites at Avalon), because he was a nice guy and always seemingly pretty broke ...
I hope I'm wrong about Gary. It's hard to keep things straight in this old mind sometimes.

I never did see the Pumpkins until Gish was released. I also didn't remember that Jimmy was in JP and the cats.

Ah, the Avalon.. I played there and saw a ton of shows there. How do we not know each other?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 am

We might? I mean, if we survived Downtown Scotty Brown ... :twisted:

I was guitarist/singer in Burnt (did some stuff with Phil Bonnet, RIP), Grind (they did some Sub Pop stuff after I left, also worked with Bonnet), The Denials (did some stuff with Brian Deck, had some interest from a major but broke up), Devils (did a lotta drugs :roll: ) ...

I think, between those bands, I played damn near every hole-in-the-wall thru Metro on the north side between '88 and '95.

I did some recording/production (started on my 4 track, went to a 238) for alla them and Barbie Army.

Another SP story - I used to hang with Dale, Billy's old bass player from The Marked; he has a few credits, was involved with Wesley Willis (RIP) whom I knew (headbumps) thru him.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I was playing most of those same rooms with the Spiritual Twins (acoustic duo) and them Bitter Boy. Both bands recorded with Jeff Molesky at Soundworks, at both locations, Lincoln Av and what is now Racks Tracks (I think it's still open).

I played at Beat Kitchen with no less than 6 different bands/projects. I loved that room.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm

That was a great room! Most recently saw The Derailers there a cuppla years ago - I correspond some with the steel-player.

So was the other place, across the street and down a little bit? More major-label acts? Can't recall the name, I'm getting so freaking old.

Fave BK story: one night, not drunk but drinking, I sang like the second to last song from the stage, full volume twin-guitar electric band, without a mic. Made the last song really tuff, and as I recall, the single encore even tougher. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:08 am

vvv wrote:That was a great room! Most recently saw The Derailers there a cuppla years ago - I correspond some with the steel-player.

So was the other place, across the street and down a little bit? More major-label acts? Can't recall the name, I'm getting so freaking old.

Fave BK story: one night, not drunk but drinking, I sang like the second to last song from the stage, full volume twin-guitar electric band, without a mic. Made the last song really tuff, and as I recall, the single encore even tougher. :twisted:
NIce. Part of the great thing about BK was James Coffee mixing. He's one of the best FOH guys I've even worked with.