Active Pickups That Sound "Broadcasty"?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lightandmind
pushin' record

Active Pickups That Sound "Broadcasty"?

Post by lightandmind » Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Wouldn't active pickups be the route-to-go for a musical, modernized broadcast-style heavy guitar sound? Like heavy, but simultaneously clean and non-abrasive, (MUSICAL!), what would be good for that? Maybe two humbuckers in-conjunction with a Mahogany ax and a nice broadcast-style EQ with the Low Pass engaged?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Active Pickups That Sound "Broadcasty"?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 25, 2013 7:38 pm

lightandmind wrote:Wouldn't active pickups be the route-to-go for a musical, modernized broadcast-style heavy guitar sound? Like heavy, but simultaneously clean and non-abrasive, what would be good for that? Maybe two humbuckers in-conjunction with a Mahogany ax with a nice broadcast-style EQ with the Low Pass engaged?
"Broadcasty"

:roll:

Ahem.
I don't think you think this word means what you think it means.
Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING you hear on the radio / internet radio, has been mixed and mastered.
A guitar pickup all by itself with nothing else will not get you that sound.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun May 26, 2013 6:03 am

When I saw the word "broadcasty" I figured it meant "like a Fender Broadcaster", ie an early Telecaster sound. Bright and jangly or twangy.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Sun May 26, 2013 6:39 am

Wow, no fellas! Like the sound of a Large Diaphragm Dynamic being ran through a broadcast-pre or Neotek-type board, something like that, very modern and musical with the "air" at the top lopped-off. Surely active pickups sound a good bit more "broadcasty" than regular PUP's, just looking for something a much further down the spectrum. I'm actually a mastering engineer by trade, so I'm familiar with what the additional processing is doing to the source, just looking for a nice set of active pickups whose sound is reminiscent of broadcast equipment. Thanks!