Inexpensive Backlit Computer Keyboard?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Inexpensive Backlit Computer Keyboard?

Post by Suntower » Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Looking around for a decent backlit computer keyboard.

Everywhere I ask, people are think it's a stupid request or I'm some kinda gamer. But my studio is dimly lit ('lava lamps') which doesn't seem that unusual (I like it). The only thing that would make it perfect would be if I could see the keys.

I don't see them in any of the local shops and the ones on-line are like $125. (My last kybd cost oh.... I dunno.... $8.95. :D so this was a bit of a shock.)

Anyhoo... just wondering if others have looked for the same thing. I'd -love- it if I could find one with the old-time clicky keys.

TIA,

---JC

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

LOL. I actually bought that one. Twice. Returned it twice. It is absolutely PERFECT in every respect except one...

It has the worst action I have ever experienced. And I am the least picky guy I know. But I literally could not tell when I had pressed a key or not. No click, no 'boing', no -nothing- that tells yer fingers something happened. It's a shame because the keys are huge and -really- easy to read.

Thanks for trying!

---JC
Ryan Ferris wrote:How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LB42N ... -3&pi=SL75

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Bummer.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:49 am

Every year or two we need to buy one for a live sound console. Never found the same model twice, though at least the cheap ones have held up OK. Last one was a Logitech, and it's a very nice keyboard though not cheap. Couldn't even find a cheapy from Taiwan by that point.

It's a niche item, figure on spending a little money. Still cheaper than any real microphone.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:43 am

Some of the gaming companies make some decent illuminated keyboards...check for Razer. And check Woot and Overstock, as well as the regular retailers.

An alternative might be to get a plain USB keyboard with a built in USB hub - you know, the ones with a couple extra ports on the back. Then plug in a USB powered LED gooseneck light.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 am

FWIW, I like having a string of the white tube Xmas lights over my keyboard - very subtle, but, eh, illuminating.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 am

FWIW: I took delivery of a CM Storm Trigger and it's the shit. Heavy built like a tank. Nice dim light. Cherry blue switches nice n clicky. Heaven.

$59 @ NewEgg (well, if the rebate comes through)

Never thought I'd spend so much on a keyboard but its --so--- much more pleasant.

---JC