Drums on Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Drums on Drums

Post by Drone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am

This isn't a question or a technique, as much as it's an observation.

I had some single headed toms stacked, and was playing a beat on the top one and it sounded pretty good. I lifted it off to record it, and the timbre changed for the worse.

The drum under the top tom, was acting, I think, as a second skin, and I think it was also resonating with it, through to the one below itself as well. So I played with different stacks for a bit, getting different sounds.

So, looking for a new drum sound? Stack them :D
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

+1!! I've stacked a 12" tom (2-headed) on top of a snare and gotten a super deep/weird Al Green kinda sound. But the extra ~9 inches of height means you'll either need a super duper low snare stand or to just do the take with the top head at chest level :P
I want large...bread.

www.packylundholm.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Physics at work!

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Yeah, I'm betting a 2 headed tom will react differently from a single headed one. Because the 2 headed one is vibrating the top skin, then it's bottom skin, then the barrier of air between it's bottom skin and the snare skin, whereas a single headed tom, the air in the first tom, is going to push directly on the snare.

I'm sure some computer genius somewhere could probably whip up a simulation of some kind, but I think just suck it and see works for now.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:17 pm

You have just discovered the reason that, for me at least, double-headed drums always sound better than single-headed drums (except for certain special applications).

GJ

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 am

Best super-heavy rock drum sounds I've heard so far, were giant single headed rack toms, with single and double headed floor toms. Could have been the drummer, or the tuning, but by gum they sounded good. Everything was single head except the last one or two floor toms (and the snare and kick).