Western Electric/Dictaphone Mystery Machine

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 am

These guys might be able to tell you. They seem to know a lot of things.
http://www.pavekmuseum.org/

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Oh, duh-- that is, I made the assumption that that is your website, but it might not be. So if you do know what's up with that particular Edison model, give me some insight!

GJ
No, it's not my website, it was just the first picture I found that looked like the models that I have.

That edison player sure does look cool, I'm gonna guess it's modified with a microphone for transferring cylinders. The stereo out is pretty confusing though, pretty sure a horn used to go there and the cylinders would all be mono. Maybe one is for cutting and the other is for playback?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, DP, that does look strangely cool; it's like the meeting of steampunk audio and relatively modern technology...

AoN-- That looks like a great museum and a good website to explore when I've got more time. I notice they mention "one of the first working Wurlitzer juke boxes." The factory and workshop for Wurlitzer (at least one of them) was here in Buffalo, near a cool venue called Melody Fair (a small to medium-ish concert venue with a rotating stage). They tore down both of those buildings just a year or so ago, to make room for a Super Walmart.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "