What You Ya'll Hearing On This TV Mix??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

What You Ya'll Hearing On This TV Mix??

Post by tonewoods » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm

OK, my friend Jed (right in the video) asked to borrow a mic for this session, so I loaned him a U87...
Sounds great!

In fact, really great...

I do a lot of recording bands playing live in the same room, and I'm really digging this recording and mix...

Here 'tis...

What are we hearing here?

I'm hearing (of course) a pretty heavy reverb on the U87, but what type?
Love to know...

Dry guitars, snare, and bass, with that vocal floating...

Anyway, thought I'd share...
Kudos to the sound crew--so much TV sound these days just sucks....
Last edited by tonewoods on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 pm

There's a pretty long predelay, or it's just a long delay of some sort. It's sounds a bit dark (in a good way) like a plate or something. The tempo of the song allows for such a length in the effect.
I wish they had put a bit of it on the electric guitar.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Yeah, what Tony said.

It's like a super-dark, very syrupy vintage-style reverb with a super-long predelay. It almost sounds like there are two "taps", so it could be that the reverb being fed by some kind of more flexible delay, rather than just the predelay on a reverb. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually some preset on some Lexicon or TC Electronics multi-FX box that you'll usually find in live racks.

It actually gets to be a little much for my tastes as it goes on. But part of the reason the vocal sounds so interesting is that: A ) it's a good performance, and B ) the mix is a little weird -- the guitars are super-dry and up front in a way that's almost awkward, so that contrast really helps make the vocal effect sound even more over-the-top.

I'd actually say the mic is possibly the least essential aspect of this sound. I hear Performance-->FX Choices--> Context, in that order.

Gear is overrated. Choices are underrated.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:58 am

fossiltooth wrote: It's like a super-dark, very syrupy vintage-style reverb with a super-long predelay.
drumsound wrote:There's a pretty long predelay...
Thanks for the input, folks...
Appreciate it...
Sounds like I need to go learn a lot more about the use of predelays, as I think that's what was mystifying these ears...
fossiltooth wrote: Gear is overrated. Choices are underrated.
Good one...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 am

tonewoods wrote:
fossiltooth wrote: It's like a super-dark, very syrupy vintage-style reverb with a super-long predelay.
drumsound wrote:There's a pretty long predelay...
Thanks for the input, folks...
Appreciate it...
Sounds like I need to go learn a lot more about the use of predelays, as I think that's what was mystifying these ears...
fossiltooth wrote: Gear is overrated. Choices are underrated.
Good one...
When I had my predelay epiphany it changed a lot of things for me. Oddly I was in the car with the ex and we heard a Rush song on the radio and I could hear the clean vocal and then the reverb bloomed and it dawned on me "PREDELAY!" Now I spend a lot of time on predelay making sure it makes sense in the tune.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm

PERFORMANCE~!

Before electricity, a group of musicians had to collaborate on the mix, in real time, while performing. Ever since the portastudio has been available to impressionable musicians, the ancient and precious technique of listening has been all but lost; the post-modern protocol for live performance goes as follows:

(1) play louder than the others (because you're way better)
(2) let the engineer deal with it

And if you wanted dark reverb, you had to find a good sounding cave to play in.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.