wrangling with compatibility issues
No votes
just making music
50%

Total votes: 8

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

I agree it's dumb. I wouldn't go as far as to start pirating. Just choose stuff that doesn't need it. I like UAD and Massey.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

I thought that Waves plug-ins no longer (Version 9) required iLok?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Only you can choose whether you're going to be a sociopathic jerkface and steal from small pro audio developers. In fact, services like iLok only exist because of piracy -- Not the other way around.

Also: You don't need iLok to authorize Waves products. Waves has it's own license manager you can use. There's a chance that it may require Intel as well. I don't know. But when you go software shopping, there's a very real possibility you may encounter compatibility issues if you're using an older machine. That's just part of the deal.

If you can't get it to work on your older computer, you can always ask for a refund. Waves, as annoying as they can be sometimes, would probably issue it. It's not hard to un-license a plugin. That's one of the benefits of the system, actually.

It's also worth mentioning that if a business has a tool that is already in high demand on the market (like Waves), the only plausible response they can take in the face of increased piracy is to clamp down harder. That means they will have to force updates more often to keep ahead of pirates. Which means an even clunkier experience for all of us. So basically: thank you for working so hard to make the system suck worse for the rest of us.

(It's also worth noting that Waves and Massey have two very different market challenges. Waves' challenge is to stop people from stealing their sh*t. Massey's challenge is make sure people even notice their sh*t to begin with. Both of them make some great stuff. But their business models are not freely interchangeable in any sense.)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 pm

You might want to change your signature and otherwise anonymize yourself if you're going to make sweeping proclamations of banditry. The NSA is watching, y'know.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Once again, CK comes through with a philosophical yet practically applicable gem that is highly quote-worthy.

I really am in a quandry as to which one to attach to my sig, but I'm leaning towards-- You might want to change your signature and otherwise anonymize yourself if you're going to make sweeping proclamations of banditry. The NSA is watching, y'know.

Or perhaps simply-- The NSA is watching, y'know.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:18 pm

CK & GJ: :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Redlight Records is a 24 track digital recording studio with analog authenticity and underground credibility.
I suppose that somewhere along the lines, "analog authenticity and underground credibility" is defined as "ancient PPC Mac loaded with 1337 h4x0r3z w4r3z LOLLOLOLZZZZ"?

Really man, I think you need to give a few (tired) points a rest:

1. Most of the world has left PPC Macs behind... Its been 7 years since Apple got into bed with Intel. I realize that computers are expensive, especially Macs...but with all the money you are saving on bootleg software you can afford it.

2. iLoks. Waaaaaaaa why does the world hate me????

Unauthorized duplication in any form is strictly prohibited.
Its okay for me to steal your stuff, but don't steal anything from my 10 year old website. Especially not my phone number or address.

4. I might have to inconvenience myself to use another computer so I can use my old Mac a little longer.... Waaaaaaaaa why is everyone picking on me??? Really, you don't know anyone that would let you use a semi-modern computer for 10 minutes?

5. I bought something but a third party pissed me off and now I'm on a rage to steal from the software developers that still bother to support my PPC.... WAaaAAAaAAAa

A likely story.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 am

I think that "log in to your account" is the most rewarding part of studio work.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 am

Last edited by chris harris on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 am

Waves hasn't supported Mac PPC since version 7. They're now on version 9, which doesn't even require an iLok, but DOES require an Intel Mac. All of this is clearly stated on the Waves website.

If you bought some "new" Waves plugins the other day, then you're a fool for spending money without considering compatibility with your ancient computer. This isn't Waves or iLok's fault. This is your fault.

Your post and your rationale for it are immature and stupid. Also, what you're encouraging is illegal. You're running a business. It costs money to stay current in business. If you can't afford it, that's sure as shit not Waves' or iLok's fault. But, as has been noted above, your attitude and your immature response to your own fuck up, is the kind of situation that creates an environment that makes it more difficult on the rest of us, who actually do keep our systems up to date and pay for our software. Thanks for that, asshole.

If you had just contacted Waves, and told them that you made a mistake and bought software that's incompatible with your computer (to reiterate, it's not just the iLok that won't work with your old Mac. The new Waves software is also not compatible), they would have probably found a way to work it out.

Don't bother now, though, Jordan Egler, of 315 Chandler, Macomb, IL 61455. My guess is that mine is not the only email they've received alerting them to a fucking proud software pirate, openly encouraging others to steal their products. You may even receive a visit from them at your studio!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:38 am

This post reminds me of another time recently where a customer thought they'd get some public support for a crusade against a corporation that they felt had wronged them..... I think you both come out smelling about the same.

http://youtu.be/NAOo9SnzRH8

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 pm

That link ...

... is hilarious! :twisted:

And sad ... :(
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm with jegler on this one. Customers shouldn't be punished for other people making illegal copies. If there are pirate versions, which don't require iLok, then clearly iLok doesn't work to deter piracy. Therefore iLok is a stupid idea. If it's easier to pirate a product than it is to use a legitimately acquired copy, then clearly the DRM measure is misguided. As a consumer I hate that shit and I'll happily speak against it any opportunity.

The bottom line of the discussion however should be: don't buy that crap. Companies won't listen until it hurts their bottom line. That's how the "free market" works.

And what comes to returns of digital goods... Thanks to EU we finally have Europe wide, sensible legislation on returns of telesales physical goods. I'm just waiting for the day when we can push the exact same requirements for digital goods. A seven working day, no quibbles grace period. Since you can't test a piece of software prior to buying, and the manufacturers don't always publish accurate data about the functionality at the point of sale, we really need an evaluation period for all software if it's actually what we want or not.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm inclined to be a bit more laid-back/compassionate towards the jegster, but I do hope he now sees that piracy is bad.

Other than that, I just wanted to try out the new sig file...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 pm

In the spirit of the misguided and overreaching copyright laws in this country, I want a nickel every time you use that sig.

Thanks,

CK@TOMB
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.