room tuning within protools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ec123
ass engineer

room tuning within protools

Post by ec123 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 am

I'd like to put a plugin EQ across my monitors in Protools, but how can I run REW or fuzzmeasure WITH the eq to see how how it's affecting the frequency response of the room?

I haven't seen anyone talk about other programs, but is there something out there that can measure the room within Protools?

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Do not use EQ to compensate for a poorly treated room.. However, you CAN use EQ to 'fix' a Steady-State issue such as Flush mounting.

Any EQ used to correct an issue at one point in the room will result in producing other issues everywhere else in the room. 8)

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

ec123
ass engineer

Post by ec123 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:40 pm

I have about 25 2x4 4" panels on the walls, in corners, where the ceiling meets the wall, etc. There's no room for more! haha..

BUT

There are still a couple low end problems I'd like to correct.

I do post, mostly film, and I've seen EQs on rooms this size (300-400ish sq/ft) to correct problems... I'm just trying to do this myself, but I'll call in a pro if I need to.

Any additional thoughts on this???

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes, indeed.

Can you run REW? if so, please get a measure of your room, one speaker at a time at the listening position. Full sweep 20Hz to 20kHz. No smoothing.
- Sorry, I can't read Fussmeasure as I don't us a Mac (AutoDesk Building Suite does not like the Mac) ;)

Post the mdat file. I'll have a look.

You may very well be dealing with BIR issues which can be corrected with placement - of the speakers AND the listener.

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 am

Mr. Brandt, love your webpage (beautiful studio pictures). You have an interesting bio (Jeremy Spencer from Fleetwood Mac is a colorful character).

If I may ask, how did you end up Indonesia and how do you like it there?

Thanks.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 am

Haha, yeah Jeremy was a character.

I met my wife in Jakarta about 6 years ago.. couldn't stay away, so I came back and married her. And here I stay. For good. I love it here. -Perpetual paradise.
We get to go to Bali every summer and lay on the beach. :)
Thank you.

Cheers,
John