Lucid ADA8824 as an addition to protools LE with an 002?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nag hammadi
gettin' sounds

Lucid ADA8824 as an addition to protools LE with an 002?

Post by nag hammadi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 pm

the studio i have been working in is separating, and i am losing my access to protools hd. we have been running a rig with a digi 96, and i will sometimes add an art tube opto8 when i need 16 channels.

all i have on my digital end is an 002 with protools LE. i am taking the little art opto8 with me, which is okay. it is actually pretty cool for remote stuff because of the pres, but...

i am thinking of something along the lines of a Lucid ADA8824. how much of an upgrade do you suppose that is in terms of clock / converters than, say, the 002?

i used to use an apogee ensemble with the 002 and like that.

any other suggestions?

i really only need 8 ins on a regular basis, as i usually track the first 8 tracks to a 1" otari 8 track, then dump to protools and continue.

though i do occasionally track a full band directly into protools, i figure the 002 should be able to handle the overflow tracks. specially if it is clocked to something better.

HAVE to stay under a grand.
i can't really hear my solo, man

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I have an RME ADI converter that I used to clock the Digi 002r with. then I picked up a used digi 002r that already had the Black Lion tweakhead mod. This already sounds better than clocking from the RME and now the RME sounds a little better too. the 4 mic press are usable on the 002r too.

I think doing the black lion upgrade is probably better than clocking from the Lucid.

I've seen used 002r's with the Signature mod going for <$1000 too.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:54 pm

That was my exact setup back in 2005 or 6. It sounded great. The Lucid converters killed the 002, and clocking to the Lucid seemed to improve the 002 as well.

It was a good rig. Sturdy and it sounded good.