how to do affordable 7" single releases

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 am

"...this space age silver disc contains information that can only be read by lasers...."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 am

A lot of groups in my local community have been releasing music on cassette, sometimes with digital download, sometimes without.

Thoughts?

Personally if you're not listening to it on 8 track, I don't think you get what it's all about.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:22 am

Haha! Cassette is for real music fans who love analog tape!!

Cassettes have made a comeback here, too. Same as vinyl, most who purchase tapes never listen to them. It's a kitschy item that's fun to collect. They then just listen to the tunes on Spotify, or, if they're really young, they listen to most of the music they hear on YouTube.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:44 am

If it is more for kitsch or promo value, than audio quality, there's always the flexi disc. 250 for $475 either one sided flexi or postcard.

http://www.piratespress.com/cms/flexi-r ... xi-special
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:27 am

Considering the fidelity and longevity of flexis, I'd love to see the cost for them come way down. At that price, you're in the same neighborhood as 7" in paper sleeves.

If it was cheaper, I'd probably do a few runs of flexi discs as promo...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

http://instagram.com/p/bHnZPyrofX/

$250 for 150 cassingles.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 pm

chris harris wrote:Considering the fidelity and longevity of flexis, I'd love to see the cost for them come way down. At that price, you're in the same neighborhood as 7" in paper sleeves.

If it was cheaper, I'd probably do a few runs of flexi discs as promo...
Yeah, you have to hit 1000 before they're a buck each $250 for 250 would be nice.

There's lathe cuts for really small runs, but thenthe cost per unit is much higher. Be nice for you if there was a vinyl equivalent of Kunaki.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 am

we have a lot of bands that do 7" records at our studio, and now that we have a lathe of our own we're offering a 7" weekend of recording, mixing, mastering, cutting the lacquer, mastering for iTunes and including 300 copies. all this to make it less expensive and easier to do in a shorter amount of time. this isn't a standard "one stop shop" deal either, it'll involve 3 different engineers (record/mixer, mastering, cutting) so each stage will have a dedicated set of ears.

i'll send the OP a PM too.

hit me up for details if anyone is interested.

-chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Chris-- What about those of us who only want the 7" ?? Deals through you? Anything you can do that's competitive with what's out there?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:01 am

hey gregg,

we don't press vinyl at '79; but we do record, mix, master and cut the lacquers. we contract out the actual vinyl pressing. the savings comes from the combo on our end.

-chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Chris Mara, Where are the bands that are releasing 7" in/around Nashville? I rarely get out to live shows anymore, but I would love to show some of these people some support by buying a 7"...that I may never listen to. Seriously...I would be interested, where can I find the records.

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Awesome! I see a lot of bands with vinyl at their merch tables all over town, most notably at: the basement , mercy lounge & the
5 spot. Grimeys has a whole local music section by the front door, many of which are 7". So does the groove.

ieatpants
audio school

Re: how to do affordable 7" single releases

Post by ieatpants » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 am

[quote="jrdamien"]I know this is the wrong forum but I don't know which would be the right forum, so I'm asking here.

I see bands doing 7" single releases and would like to do some myself. But how is this affordable? Is there anyplace that does short run vinyl that isn't 1k no matter the quantity or isn't lathe cut?[/quote]

a cheaper and efficient option might be to find someone to do a split with... you might even be able to afford a color sleeve or maybe even a 10"
i dunno. a hamburger? b/w http://ieatpants.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 am

There are a few threads on this here already; did you search vinyl?

The ones I know are United, Furnace, Gotta Groove, Rainbow, Erika, and Pirates Press. If you want to try and win a contest, there's an up-and-coming concept company that's giving away a limited edition vinyl run to the winner of their on-line polling thingy. I can't find the web address now, I'll see if I can find it and post it later...

As to affordable, I'm still looking into that myself. I guess it depends on your definition, but some people do go in half-and-half like that...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Chris,
Do you guys do flat-cut lacquers? Or does the lacquer have to be included in the "whole enchilada" package?