how to do affordable 7" single releases

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 am

hey chris,

we cut lacquers that aren't of this package. in fact, that's mostly what we do. we're looking for ways to integrate the studio with the lathe, since we're one of the few places in the country that can record direct to disc.

that being said- here's info on our lacquer cutting:

http://welcometo1979.com/Vinyl.html

there's a link to the rates page there as well.

rock out!

chris mara
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks, Chris! Those rates are super reasonable! I'd also love a chance to come in and see the process. I'll definitely hit you up for my next lacquer!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 am

that'd be great chris! we love having people over as we cut their masters! if you can't join us in person, we can schedule it via FaceTime/Skype too!

-chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

Batuka
audio school

Post by Batuka » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 pm

I put out 7"s, I do 500 at a time, costs about $1800, and I sell them for $7 each, $5 wholesale to distributors.

My $1800 cost includes artwork, layout, mastering.

Yes, a bit pricey, but I want a quality product that looks amazing, so people will buy it.

As much as I enjoy focusing on the recorded content, I need to make sure that the images on the front and back look really cool. Looks count for so much. Important to have relationships with good, flexible artists, who have good portfolios to choose from or willing to take direction on an original piece.

I always get the heavy cardboard sleeves, so no need for poly bags.
always do 45 rpm, sounds better to me.

If you put out the best product you can, and market it as such, hopefully you will make your money back within a few months.

Takes me about 4 - 6 months to sell 500 units, so I don't make much off it, but what I do make I usually use to put out another record.

It's pretty thankless, but I am proud of my product and people who do buy it like it, too.

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:23 am

Flexi discs are really cool, actually sound great and are cheaper than 7" vinyl. I've put out a few with bands i've recorded and people love them.

Pirates press does them and they do a great job. http://www.piratespress.com/cms/flexi-records

7" records are tough, it's hard to make money on them because people only want to pay $5 for them and there is not a lot of room to make your money back. Flexi discs end up being about $2 each I think.