Another Studer 827 Issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cm231805
audio school

Another Studer 827 Issue

Post by cm231805 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Hey guys,
I've been having some issues with our Studer 827.

I was having issues with pops and clicks on our repro head and ended up sending the heads away to ATR Services who were able to remedy the problem which they attributed to a combination of core grounding issues and a bad batch of tape. They were very helpful and got all of the tape replaced.

So I got the heads back yesterday and put them back on the machine. Upon playing back our MRL, the first 16 channels were looking pretty normal on both the sync and repro head but I noticed there were some problems on the last 8 meters. Channels 17,19,21, and 23 were spiked at +12 and were responding to the MRL recording (the meters were bouncing when the legendary MRL man had something to say). However, channels 18,20,22, and 24 weren't passing any signal. I tried adjusting the REC and SYNC levels in the alignment, but none of the channels responded.

I've taken the following steps:

Reseated the heads
Reseated all cards
Swapped the preamp card for 9-16 with 17-24
Swapped the dsub for 9-16 with 17-24 on the head block
Played back my tone printed work tape to confirm it wasn't just the MRL

I've also played back a brand new blank tape (ATR Magnetics). All meters showed no signal.

I had one one other weird thing happen while troubleshooting this problem. The machine randomly powered down, stayed off for a few seconds and then powered back up.

Anything jumping out at anyone?

Thanks so much in advance!

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Another Studer 827 Issue

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:21 am

cm231805 wrote: I had one one other weird thing happen while troubleshooting this problem. The machine randomly powered down, stayed off for a few seconds and then powered back up.

Anything jumping out at anyone?

Thanks so much in advance!
Ghosts, your studio is obviously haunted.

Seriously, I'd guess there's a power supply or logic issue. reseat those connections, and the logic board.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Where are you located?
You should talk to Dan Zelman about this.