Drumming in a suit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Drumming in a suit

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Hey,

Not sure what forum exactly this belongs in, then I saw that Garages mods this one and figured I'd go for it.

I've always thought it was badass when guys drum in a suit and tie. I guess ever since I saw two guys doing it ("to death") for James Brown in the late 70's - early 80's.

Anyway, what's the secret to getting away with that? Do people just eat the huge dry cleaning bills? Or do they stink to high heaven? Or are they wearing/doing something special that makes it not super hot and sweaty and stinky? I'm curious. Anyone have experience with this? I sweat like a pig when I just wear shorts and a t-shirt, it doesn't seem like I could ever get away with the suit thing.

Thanks,

SP I'm asking now because I'm thinking of wearing a suit to an upcoming audition. I think it would be really appropriate for this situation.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Carl,

I've had to do this a lot in the past at formal gigs, and for a decade each when I was in the Army Band and in a wedding band. If you've never done it before, I'd avoid trying it at an audition-- in my opinion it sucks. Maybe that's just me, but it's very hot, I get all chokey feeling when I have to wear a buttoned-up collar with a tie, and the sticks were always getting caught in my sleeves. Plus, I usually play barefoot or in stocking feet, but with a suit you often have to wear formal shoes too...

Don't do it bro, unless there's more money there than _____________ (insert your own luchre-grabbing euphemism/analogy here).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 am

Beyond the obvious reasons, it's worth seeing the Dap-Kings just to watch the drummer sweat through his suit every night. That guy is unreal. The show is 2+ hours and he never, ever stops.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 am

Best option is your birthday suit.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 am

Bro Shark wrote:Best option is your birthday suit.
If you saw me starkers you might disagree.

But seriously, I wish I was auditioning for the Chili Peppers. Late 80's, pre-suckage Chili Peppers, that is.
Carl Keil

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:58 pm

There are many different suit fabrics, of varying weights breathability levels.

I tend to prefer natural fabrics. I've been using a red wool jacket with a satiny lining for a while now. Rather than breathability, the issue I have is that the sleeves tend to twist and bind up while I play, or that the shoulders are too narrow, and cut off my circulation. The lining means that it flows and hangs better while I'm playing. But that jacket is especially good in that regard. Maybe a touch oversized so there's room to move, also. It's not uncomfortable and I don't find it restrictive.

I usually wear it for the first few songs, the take it off partway into the set. If I keep it on too long, it smells like wet sheep. It's mainly there so I can look vaguely "put together" before & after the show (I'm usually more of a "thrown together" kinda guy).

Get the shirt a half inch larger than the salesman recommends...if they measure a 16, get a 16 1/2. And absolutely get machine washable shirts! I get the "tapered" or "fitted" shirts, since I'm skinny, and don't want a huge billowing mass of fabric around my waist.

Tie tac! Even just a safety pin...

There are also summerweight suits - the pants are really light, and the jackets are almost like gauze.

If you're going shopping, tell the salesman what you need it for, and they should be able to help you meet that spec.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Hmm.

I play guitar, and not well but that's another story, but I've worn suits at gigs over the years ... and I wear 'em pretty often in my day job.

I reco ya go the Salvation Army route, as yer gonna really make it stink, prob'ly ruin it.

FWIW, un-lined are more comfy and not as hot, 100% wool mebbe more durable but not machine-washable, and Hugo Boss is for show-offs.

Viva Bun E. Carlos!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Oversized suit, but not quite D. Byrne size. Washable shirts, largeish. The real secret is Febreze. Spray that sucka down before you hang it up to dry. Did this for many shows and tours. Also eat healthy food, you'll smell better. But then there's the booze?
Ivan the Threadstopper

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I used to play in a 60's sounding mod/garage band and we suited up for shows. the drummer usually took his jacket off about song number 2. Me and the other dudes usually toughed it out. oh did I mention this was in Arizona, often in the Summer, in tiny, smokey bars without proper AC. I give the dude props for 12 bars of that punishment.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:22 am

Goin' for this look, are ya?

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 am

old school jazz touring trick is to hang the suit up in the hotel bathroom, close the door and run the shower on hot for 2 hours. ecologically responsible, no. easiest way to steam a suit yourself, yes.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:22 am

vvv wrote:Goin' for this look, are ya?

I wish.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like the audition fell through (damn CraigsList), but now I have a little time to figure this out. Hopefully this heatwave will blow over too. Damn.
Carl Keil

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:44 am

i don't have any advice for you, but i played in a suit exactly once...this story has nothing to do with the suit, but it makes me laugh anyway.

i was at an old bandmate's wedding. he had a cracking funk/soul band playing the reception...as the drinks flowed, his college buddies all started clamoring for a reunion of our old band. so the groom had a word with the bandleader and arranged for us to get up there and play a couple tunes.

so they finish up a song, the bandleader is introducing us, i make eye contact with the drummer and get up onstage. crucial to this story is that the drummer was a big, muscular dude, and i am a scrawny twerp. i go over to him, we nod hello to each other, the first thing he says is "do you want some smaller sticks?"

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 pm

MS,

Was he that guy from the "ZZ Top" video with the gold-lamme suit?
And, did you take the smaller sticks, or ask for some parade mallets just to spite the guy?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I hate shit like that. Stuff like that happens to me and in the moment I'm like "man, what a polite and courteous guy", and then later (sometimes years) I realize it was a total dis.

I hope he wasn't using 7A's?
Carl Keil