antelope Orion 32

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:05 pm

drumsound wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:How do you deal with punch ins on this Orion thingy?
How do you mean? It's just an AD/DA interface. The program of choice deals with punching.
I mean the latency...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I give the player the live source, if I need to I'll work the headphone send up and down from the computer track until the punch.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:56 pm

drumsound wrote:I give the player the live source, if I need to I'll work the headphone send up and down from the computer track until the punch.
Ugh. What I was afraid of...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
drumsound wrote:I give the player the live source, if I need to I'll work the headphone send up and down from the computer track until the punch.
Ugh. What I was afraid of...
Honestly, it's because I haven't really explored the Orion Mixer...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Yesterday I was doing some repairs on basic tracks, after having done some mixing on another project. While mixing I wanted to track parallel compression back into the project. I set up delay compensation and had not delay or comb filtering, and yesterday, punched in some bass and guitars and had no issues with the Orion 32.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 pm

I never had any problems with the tracks themselves, or with routing outboard I/O either, it was only with the monitoring. so when you could hear the live signal (such as your voice) in real time, and then the signal would go into the DAW and back out to the headphones... then yuck. phasey robot voice. That's where I needed the mixer to be able to route to the phones at the same time. For tracking drums it didn't actually affect me because I mostly hear the direct signal (even when wearing the isolation phones).

When I sold the Orion I picked up a Lynx Aurora 16 with the USB interface. It's mixer does allow you to route the signal directly to the outputs. When recording I would mute the track in the DAW (so you don't get the robot voice) and then you hear only the real-time signal. Unfortunately I could not figure out a way to boost the level on that direct track aside from boosting the input level (and risk clipping) where as if it goes through the DAW (or a console) you just push up the fader for more volume without affecting the input signal...

so after two weeks of mucking around with all the new gear I said F*** it and went back to my old rig. it does what I need it to do and I can work efficiently with it. I can only go to 48KHz sample rates but so far that has never really been an issue. My original issue is probably more the fault of Pro Tools 9.0.6 than it is the Orion or Aurora converters - which are both really nice.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 am

just figured I would dig up this old thread and close out my quest for a new interface...

I ended up getting an Apollo 16 (got it used here on TOMB) and so far its awesome. The "Console" application is a virtual console that does exactly what I wanted. It can route (in near real-time) from any input to any output. In fact, it seems the default is to send all inputs to the Mon L/R assignment - which is the main outputs. There are also 4 separate cue mixes for headphones. This means that I can route the vocal mic to the singer's phones w/o going through the DAW and inducing latency. Seems simple but this was the one thing that the Orion could not do for me.

The Apollo only has half the channels (and for the same retail price) but now I have UAD DSP capabilities and I can work with only 16 simultaneous inputs (usually not a problem...)

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 am

thanks for all the info!

I have been seriously considering selling my Lynx Aurora and getting an Apollo, because I'm so tired of not having proper headphone mixes. I don't use a mixer so I can't build a mix pre-tape, so the digital mixer had to have headphone routing. I love the lynx, but the software is limited and I hate having to mute tracks and all that jazz.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 pm

ott0bot wrote:thanks for all the info!

I have been seriously considering selling my Lynx Aurora and getting an Apollo, because I'm so tired of not having proper headphone mixes. I don't use a mixer so I can't build a mix pre-tape, so the digital mixer had to have headphone routing. I love the lynx, but the software is limited and I hate having to mute tracks and all that jazz.
This is something I've been dealing with/trying to figure out. Lynx is finally helping if not solving the issue for certain cards. My computer is on its way out and I believe I'll be getting an iMac, so I'm going to get the Thunderbolt card. They have a new software mixer that works with the Thunderbolt card, and I think the AES card too? I could be wrong about that. But that should finally allow me to do things the same way I was able to do it with my lowly Firestudio. I was disappointed that the mixer for USB/Firewire has been such a non-priority, but I guess a lot of folks have other ways they're doing things or it would have put more pressure on the company to do something about it. But for me the new mixer should solve the problem, which is exciting news.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:37 am

^^ good to know. Still rocking my 2008 iMac, no t-bolt action...but I'm still trying to decide about the whole upgrade. all I know is, it's expensive either way...and not in the budget for a while. people are going to have to live with limited headphone mixes when I'm recording them for a while....sorry folks. I can still mult a channel on the patchbay, and provide reverb.