What to do in my mountain recording trip situation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bparker12321
audio school

What to do in my mountain recording trip situation

Post by bparker12321 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 pm

So here's the run down. Our line-up consist of an acoustic gtr/vocals/harmonica, electric guitar, keys, e bass, and drum set, and we're going out to our guitarist's unkle's cabain in the mountains here in a month as a getaway/demo recording time for a weekend. The cabain is one big room so no room for isolation. The gear we have available is 2 2x15 pa cabs an 8x2 powered mixer(with record out for each bus), beta 57, ev 664, gxl 2200 ldc, cascade fathead ribbon, e609, audix vocal mic, and the bass and keys are both going to be ran through a DI. We have 2 track reel to reel and a 4 track cassette deck. I'm think about just room micing the drums. We don't have a head phone system(we do have two more pa cabs if needed, but we're already traveling several hours). I'm just curious on what would be your guys' opinion on what's best to do. We play indie-folk-rock. I'm open to buying more gear or building it. We're good with building gear, so that's an option, but only up to $150 preferably under $100 also we can rent from herehttp://thompsonmusicrental.com/recording.html

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Think, and plan for polar patterns of the mics, and the cabinets. It's amazing how much isolation you can get by knowing where the sound goes.

You can also try amps lined up with the BD all pointing the same ala Glyn Johns.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:42 pm

You can definitely capture the drums with just one or two mics (maybe an overhead and a inside kick mic). I'd prob go with the fathead directly over the kit between the kick pedal and snare, and the beta57 on kick. Ev664 is pretty cool on a guitar amp. 2200 would prob work best as a room, though in a pinch if you can find the singer/acoustic guitarist a nice corner it could work on his rig. Otherwise try to close mic the two separately, I'd say e609 on the guitar and audix on the voice (though of course it depends on his voice)

If you keep the amp levels reasonable and take the time to experiment with amp placements you should be able to make things sound pretty damn good!

bparker12321
audio school

Post by bparker12321 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Both of you guys have some great points. It'll help thinking about the polar patterns, and I hadn't though about the 2200 for both guitar and vocals. I use it a lot for stuff like uke/vocals, so that should be fine. We're renting a beyerdynamic m160, and were thinking about using that on the acoustic, and the 664 works great on our singers voice, but we'll have plenty of time to kind of mess with things. thanks