Mac OS.. Did I wait too long to buy DAW software?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Mac OS.. Did I wait too long to buy DAW software?

Post by dino » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 am

I really want to get back to recording after several years. Rather than trying to bring a 10+ year old Music XPC back to life, I'm thinking about putting some recording software onto my 2011 iMac. Went to look at recording software and noticed that most of the big players (DP, PT, etc..) now require a more recent OS. The computer runs perfectly well as it is so I'd rather not mess with changing things on it. It's running 10.6 w/16gigs of ram. A point to note is that I don't need much more than the basics, as I never did get full use out of the Sonar Producer on the XPC. It would just be nice to have access to the 24bit 96K recording that my current interface can do. I did look at Reaper and it seemed to fill the bill quite nicely. Before I decide what to do I wanted to check with you smart folks to get some confirmation.
Respectfully submitted, dinogi
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:16 am

Reaper will do the job nicely. Having said that, don't be afraid to upgrade your OS. Apple makes it cheap and simple to upgrade. For a 2011 model, there's no really no reason not to upgrade to 10.8.4.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 am

I am running Pro Tools 10 both regular and HD, on Mac OS10.6.8.

The versions run extremely well.

Cheers
Last edited by Nick Sevilla on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Ah, 10.6.8. The last of the real Mac operating systems. I run Logic and yes, maybe you have waited too long.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 pm

You might look around (ebay, amazon, craigslist) for older versions of the exact software you want. You'd want to research the hell out of it first probably. Make sure you can still get all the bugfix upgrades and such.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:39 am

For Mac, if you have an older (10.6 most likley) OS installed, you can get the updates from Apple here.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 am

I was using 10.6 for the longest time (what my Mac Pro came with) and it worked pretty great but I use Reason a lot and with 7.0 they require at least 10.7...so I bit the bullet last week and spent $20 (pretty fair, actually) to update to 10.8.4. So far it works pretty well, though it broke a couple old programs I was using I still have to keep an old computer around for those.

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

With great appreciation

Post by dino » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Thank you guys so much.
As it turns out, I downloaded the Reaper demo and it worked perfectly.
Kind of reminds me of the NTrack software I started with. Especially with the helpful folks on their forum. It appears to be everything people have said about it.
Think I'll be sending them some money to register it very soon. Even if it ends up not being what I had hoped, its just sixty bucks instead of the five hundred I wasted on Sonar. (Not in any way a jab at Sonar. It was fabulous. The problem was that I'm an idiot and wasn't prepared for the learning curve)
Thanks again guys. Once more proving this is the best community on the internet.
olduncledinogiammattei
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

garrett111
audio school

Post by garrett111 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

i'm sre you can find some version of pro tools to run on it. I was running pro-tools 6 for a long time on an older. Its still out there if you look for a copy.
I updated to protools 8 and a better computer. It's much nicer.
http://proudvoices.com - hire voice over talent for audio and video projects