I gotta confess, I kinda hate nice mic's and guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

I gotta confess, I kinda hate nice mic's and guitars

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 pm

I mean, I gotta couple-5 of each, and I am very careful to take care of 'em, not bang 'em around, scratch 'em, let 'em get dusty.

Whadda drag.

I have more fun with my beater guitars and mic's what I can sweat on, swing around, whack cymbals and the drummer with, risk dropping as I dance ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I kinda feel that way about stuff in general. Who needs high maintenance, fancy stuff?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 pm

i like nice mics and cheap guitars.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 am

dfuruta wrote:i like nice mics and cheap guitars.
+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:15 am

I'll take 'em off your hands...for a small fee, that is.
scantysound.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:48 am

Oh, I wasn't offering to give 'em up, just bemoaning the greater impracticality thereof.

Got any you wanna give me?

I'll not charge ya.
:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:46 pm

dfuruta wrote:i like nice mics and cheap guitars.
Yeah, that can be a totally winning combination.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am

All gear is useful somewhere

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah but, to re-state my theme as OP, nice stuff is mebbe less useful, to the extent that I feel I should be careful with it to keep it nice.

Once the guitar is scratched I can bang it on the stage or toss it to someone I'm 90% sure will catch it.

Once a mic is dented (I tipped a stand-mounted MXL V69ME last week and gave the gold screen a souvenir), I somehow feel more free to spit on it and scream, don't feel totally obligated to case it vs. a toss into the gig bag.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 am

Me mum said "go first class, or stay home and watch it on the Travel Channel".

Only 10% of stuff is worthy. The other 90% is crap. Took a few years to figure that out.

I'll take the 10 and give you the 90. For me, it's the cream of the crop. That gives me my best MPG.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 pm

I guess I'm not making myself clear.

When I say "beater", I'm not referring to "low quality", but rather "well-used".

For example, I consider my 80's Tele or Paul or G&L F100's to be well-used, beater guitars, and superior to my newish SG, MIJ Strat, Epi Wildkat and Sheraton II, etc.

When I play the dented and chipped and bled-on former, I rock; when I play the shiny latter, I'm careful of the instrument.

When I sing in my old spit-covered, dis-colored and chipped 58's or 57's or AKG's, what I love, I'm more casual with them than any condensor, or even a newish SM7b or RE320 or 421II.

I have two AKG310's - the old beat one gets used far more, even tho' they sound the same; likewise, I use the beat-up Shures before the newer ones (yes, I tend to have pairs of mic's - I guess I see 'em as testicular extensions or sompin'. :lol: )

Mebbe it's a complex? I always choose the grungier cords or cables for performance, the well-worn picks and loose mic stands and chipped glass slides ...

Mebbe it's 'cuz my moms always says keep nice things nice, so that I only feel comfortable workin' the beaters hard.

But I'll take yer 90! :twisted:
Last edited by vvv on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Now THAT'S an interesting angle.

I knew a guy who was absolutely terrified of doing the "stick across the cymbal" Hollywood horror movie thing for fear or leaving a scrape mark across his Zildjian Brilliants. I'm all for keeping some good gear in good shape, but at some point, fear of stuff like that might just hinder performance.

I was really relived to move my studio into a space with wood floors that were in good shape, but not totally brand new and shiny. I mentioned this to my studio designer and he told me that one of the big LA studios had had a new wood floor installed and the night before the first session, they had a bunch of dudes come in and drag chains around on it for like three hours, just so no one had to worry about being the first to ding-up the floor. I imagine that had some effect on the long-term stability of the sound of the floor, as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Exactly!

Hinder performance? Hell no! Get out the chains! :D
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I like beat up and older stuff in general but I am usually careful even of my beater instruments because they are irreplaceable due to the vibe etc.

Areas I totally agree with this concept is mics on drums and my car. It's never fun having a drummer whack your vintage 421 or hammer the AT Pro37r that's micing the hi-hat. I use a lot of 57s on drummers :)

I just sold a sporty little Honda Civic Si and bought a Rav4. No, it's not as much fun as the Si, but I loved the Si too much and it was hard when people scratched in or opened doors into it. Others don't care about your stuff. I will never drive a car that I really love again until I can afford to have a beater care and keep the nice one away except for special drives.

but I don't mind my guitars showing honest wear. I can stand one that's been mistreated just for fun or to make it look older.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:17 pm

getreel wrote: I can't stand one that's been mistreated just for fun or to make it look older.
I fixed that for you?

Because that's how I feel.

If I wanna relic, I'll get it there honest-like.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.