Logic i/o plugin latency

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jhcore
ass engineer

Logic i/o plugin latency

Post by jhcore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am

So after heading online to read tons of often conflicting advice of how to route a signal OTB to hardware (in my case, a compressor), I FINALLY got a track out and back in again; however, it was coupled with the dreaded latency I've been hearing so much about. If I recall, I inserted the i/o plugin on the track meant for OTB routing, then output that signal to an empty track so I could record it.

That being said, this latency issue was ONLY when I played the track back in when playing the song. After I recorded the i/o track then viewed it in the timeline, it sat there well in sync with the song. So does anybody have any idea of how to hear the i/o track's signal synced properly when listening to the song at the same time?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi,

You'll need really good fast converters.

Preferably a system which has an internal bussing PCI card.

Motu makes one really good one.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jhcore
ass engineer

Post by jhcore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

So...as for now I'm laptop bound, using a Saffire 40 (firewire).

I've read about all these arcane latency workarounds, but can't seem to find anything definitive yet. This is definitely a known issue, but it seems like there are 1001 different ways of dealing with it. And I'm not the most patient person in the world. :twisted:

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 am

The only thing you can't do is monitor an i/o chain while recording an overdub. The latency would be too great. You don't have to record the i/o in order to listen to it while mixing, etc. Make sure latency compensation is set to all and that you "ping" the system (which I'm sured you've done since it's one of three settings on the plug in window). Oh and I'm assuming you have Logic 9. Earliler versions were not able to pint the i/o chain.

jhcore
ass engineer

Post by jhcore » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the replies. I have some mix duties ahead of me pretty soon, so I'm hoping that this will clear up the issue. I appreciate the input!