Airy mic to compliment SM7b and vintage U87 for vocals?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Rufer wrote:No need to apologize for the self-promotion. Not enough quality self-promotion on this board these days.

The cover sounds really good. Not sure if I have the ears to comment on the vocal mic specifically but very nice production and execution.

I'm most interested in your video process. What kind of camera shot that? It has particular high-def quality that looks like really cool. I've seen it elsewhere. Some sort of enhancement? Special frame rate?
Thanks Rufer! As far as the video, nothing really going on as far as any special tricks. The footage is pretty much straight off the camera. I shot this with a Nikon D7100 that I actually just got, but it's not all that different than the D90 I've been using for a few years save for the bigger sensor, 1080i video vs. 720p, and some other things. The frame rate is saved out at the normal 24 fps. It was shot at 60 fps but with it ending up at the same frame rate as the videos I've always shot at 24 fps it comes out looking pretty much the same. Except for the one slow-motion shot of the drums on the first hit of the last chorus.

The only thing I can think of that might be considered distinct about it is shooting with a wide aperture, which keeps part of the image crisp and blurs the rest, which is something that came from my photography style from the years I spent as a photographer (which is just occasional now). I've been using wide apertures since my beginning in film photography, actually because I felt it accurately captured what I see when I take off my glasses - part of the image in focus with the rest blurred.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the recording or video, though there wasn't really anything to special or unusual here!

vvv wrote:I'm thinking about naming my next band, "Random Pop Cover ".

:twisted:
RPC is my new favorite band!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 am

jgimbel wrote:The only thing I can think of that might be considered distinct about it is shooting with a wide aperture,
Ah yeah, looking again, that's it. I think the use of the DSLR with the wide aperature is what I was seeing but didn't make the connection. Anyway, looks cool.