Interior design ideas

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crow
steve albini likes it

Interior design ideas

Post by crow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 am

I'm looking to remodel my control room soon, and am hunting for aesthetic inspiration. I thought there was an old TOMB thread of people's control room photos, but can't seem to find it with TFSF. Does anybody out there in TOMB land know of any good collections of control room images, or have some design wisdom they want to lay on me?

The acoustic approach will involve liberal use of fabric-covered 2'x4' panels, and I feel pretty good about my plan, since I've been using the room for a long time already, and am rebuilding in a way that will be adjustable over time. Mainly, I'm looking for guidance in these departments:

overall aesthetic approach
fabric choice
lighting

I look forward to anyone's links, images, and/or opinions. Thanks!

Michael

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Interior design ideas

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:01 am

crow wrote:I'm looking to remodel my control room soon, and am hunting for aesthetic inspiration. I thought there was an old TOMB thread of people's control room photos, but can't seem to find it with TFSF. Does anybody out there in TOMB land know of any good collections of control room images, or have some design wisdom they want to lay on me?

The acoustic approach will involve liberal use of fabric-covered 2'x4' panels, and I feel pretty good about my plan, since I've been using the room for a long time already, and am rebuilding in a way that will be adjustable over time. Mainly, I'm looking for guidance in these departments:

overall aesthetic approach
fabric choice
lighting

I look forward to anyone's links, images, and/or opinions. Thanks!

Michael
I've been experimenting with LED lighting at home. I've tried a bunch of different bulbs and I like the more expensive dimmable Phillips ones the best.
Reason I'm mentioning this in your thread is heat. They give off almost zero heat. Regular bulbs and Halogens, which get used a lot, give off so much heat! In a control room you have enough stuff giving off heat, don't need it coming from a dozen or more lightbulbs too.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 am

I actually followed your recommendation for the Phillips bulbs from the other LED lighting thread, and tried a few of the indoor floodlights in my cutting room. next to the equivalent incandescents, they're identical to my eyes, and don't seem to strobe like other LEDs I've seen. My only problem with them is that I have variac dimmers, which results in a hard on/off behavior with the LEDs instead of a smooth taper. It doesn't bother me much, though, since I usually have full light in there. Thanks for the tip!

And yeah, my Sony board puts out plenty of heat!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:48 am

here's a few pix of my mastering room, if it's any help:

i basically tried to keep it as simple as possible. tried to minimize flat surfaces as they just end up as homes for clutter. i like my paper globe lights overhead, the regular lamps are almost never on day to day, but they look cool in pix.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Very nice! Although your photos are a painful reminder that I need to de-clutter in a major way! I also am a big fan of the paper ball lights. I think my end result will hopefully be a tracking/mixing version of what you've got. Although I'm open-minded, folks, so bring on the 2 centses!

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jhbrandt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Michael,

You can see a few photos on my website home page and we're working on the Studio build diary. My Facebook has BUNCH.
https://www.facebook.com/JhBrandtRecord ... ing?ref=hl
Enjoy.
- Also there are docs and calculators on my publications page for free download. Have fun!

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:28 am

Wow, that's a lot to look at. Thanks, John!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:07 pm

crow wrote:I actually followed your recommendation for the Phillips bulbs from the other LED lighting thread, and tried a few of the indoor floodlights in my cutting room. next to the equivalent incandescents, they're identical to my eyes, and don't seem to strobe like other LEDs I've seen. My only problem with them is that I have variac dimmers, which results in a hard on/off behavior with the LEDs instead of a smooth taper. It doesn't bother me much, though, since I usually have full light in there. Thanks for the tip!

And yeah, my Sony board puts out plenty of heat!
Cool. The LED's seem to want a certain type of dimmer.
Those Sony consoles are pretty darn good platforms.

jhbrandt
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Interior design ideas

Post by jhbrandt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:02 pm

roscoenyc wrote:... Regular bulbs and Halogens, which get used a lot, give off so much heat! In a control room you have enough stuff giving off heat, don't need it coming from a dozen or more lightbulbs too.
++1

- John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants
http://www.jhbrandt.net

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Regarding LED's needing a special dimmer: it is true. Lutron makes a nice product called the C/L dimmer. It will handle incandescent and LED loads, but be aware that the LED load limit is 150 watts.

Phillips, in my mind, is on the cutting edge of LED lamp technology. I have installed probably 10 brands or so in a dozen different configurations. All I can say is they perform the most reliably and have the greatest options in terms of beam spread, color and lamp type.

As far as design goes, if you've done any soundproofing, track light is a nice way to minimize the penetrations into the barrier. It's very flexible (you can put the lights wherever you want) and pretty inexpensive.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 pm

My own personal aesthetic preference is very clean (NO CLUTTER!) and modern. I like the 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe. However, after working in this room for a few years, I'm starting to find it a little too bright. I can dim the lights. But, it's not the same as having some darker colors providing warmth. I'd like to eventually replace the horrible, light colored tile floor with a darker wood. i usually turn off all of the overhead lights when I'm working alone.

I think having a little more "warmth" to the look of the place would help people relax. That could have it's positives and negatives.

And, to be honest, the whole "no clutter" thing can kind of make some people uncomfortable, too. There's a pretty large area behind the mix position that serves as a "lounge". And, aside from a couch, a table, and a couple of chairs, it's pretty big and empty. Sometimes it feels like a doctor's office in there.