Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

(FX'd mic's) Submitted for yer consideration

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 am

, ... the number of broken mic's you own reflects:

a. the number of mic's you have, divided by,

b. the skill/interest/$ you have to fix 'em.

I have three, a destroyed (by me) EV Slimaire, and a defective (but usable) EV 664, and a Shiny Box 43L currently using aluminum foil (like, for the BBQ foil).

I note that this analysis might be likewise used for mic cables, guitars, pedals, synths, amps, outboard ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 am

I was going to say I have two... but then I realized I have 4. I have an old Shure 57 that was given to me. it's dead. no problem, I'll use the remains as a hammer... I have an old EV 647 that I destroyed 20+ years ago and just hung onto the case thinking I may do something with it some day...

Then I have a couple more that were given to me - an MXL 992 and an MXL V69. I spent a couple minutes on each but never figured out the problem so they just sit in a box too...

the good news is only the old EV cost me any $$ and even then it was not much back then.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am

I have an SM57 that was bashed by a drummer years ago when it was on loan. I don't care to have it fixed, and used the repair money from the band to buy something useful instead, drum heads.

I also have a PL20 that I need to send in to the dude who rehabs them. I liked that mic when it worked.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:41 pm

That reminds me, I do have a broke, fake, SM57 ...

But fix that PL20, same azza RE20, yeah?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Joe Meek JM37... I really liked that microphone. Then it broke, and I put it in the case... I've got just a couple more "garage sale" items on the shelf that never got a thorough once-over.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Re: (FX'd mic's) Submitted for yer consideration

Post by ulriggribbons » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 pm

vvv wrote: ... Shiny Box 43L currently using aluminum foil (like, for the BBQ foil).
Why would you do that, when you could send it in and have it made better than new?

I have an Altec birdcage mic that is completely in pieces, and looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of the ocean when I received it. It's a maybe someday project.

I also have a broken D12, that is in excellent condition other than the diaphragm( I bought it broken). No replacement parts available. Maybe someday I will make a new diaphragm for it...

Jon

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 am

That would be both the "$" and skills answer.

I have tried to re-ribbon it myself a cuppla times, but unsuccessfully.

When I get 'round to it, I shall try again.

It was a Ebay buy what sounded off when I rec'd it; when I opened it up, chrome was peeling off the magnet and rubbing the ribbon. When I tried to remove the chrome, I damaged the ribbon. I gave the seller a bad review - he hadda know - but couldn't return because of my aborted repair attempt.

The aluminum foil sounds shite, of course. Makes a kinda OK room mic for amps ... :roll:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:57 am

vvv wrote:That reminds me, I do have a broke, fake, SM57 ...

But fix that PL20, same azza RE20, yeah?
Yep, PL 20 and RE30 are the same mic with different paint.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 am

vvv wrote: It was a Ebay buy what sounded off when I rec'd it; when I opened it up, chrome was peeling off the magnet and rubbing the ribbon. When I tried to remove the chrome, I damaged the ribbon. I gave the seller a bad review - he hadda know - but couldn't return because of my aborted repair attempt.
That's when you get in touch, send it in, and I put new magnets in it. That early run of mics had some bum magnets, I've got spares here.

Putting ribbons in mics yourself is kinda like self dentistry (well, maybe not that bad). Without the right tools and experience, it's 100% harder ( I remember doing this back in the day). You may get something that passes audio, but isn't necessarily "right" =)

Can you tell that it pains me to know one of my mics is out there not working right?

Jon

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am

I understand. And I did contact you about this in the past, and your quoted price was too high for me in that I already had so much invested in the mic. As I recall, I did mention the magnet problem ...

FWIW, once the ribbon was destroyed (it actually had a little tear in it from the shedding chrome that tore worse as I tried to remove that), I was able to just peel the loose chrome off the magnet (s?).

Since then I've tried the re-ribbon 4x, and not gotten it right (other than with foil :twisted: )- but someday I will.

I note that I have successfully re-tensioned a few cheaper ribbons, what I tend to like as room mic's for drums and guitar, and the occasional amp and rare lead vocal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am

I offlined the support side to PM, so as not to clutter the thread.

I tend not to try retensioning old ribbons, as the sagging ones are usually from overseas where it's not worth it (the tolerances are so poor that there's no point, a properly made and tensioned ribbon is the right solution), or for quality ribbons, the sagging is caused by a large excursion of air, which often causes more of a problem then just the sag ( you'll often see a slight twist in the ribbon, also undesirable).

Anywho, happy to help if I can.

Jon

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Jon, it pains me as well.
I have a Shinybox 43 and it ain't broke.
My clients prefer it on vocal and acoustic guitar. They ask for it.
Maybe because it's ruler flat out to 15K (with customary dip @6-8K)
No, maybe it's because the off-axis response is to die for.
It's not a novelty color mic. It's the go-to mic.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:36 am

This reminds me to use my Shinybox 46U more for room duties...so far I only used it for close miking - and my assistant would like to use it for everything, haha!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 am

i have a broken audix i5 (dropped by one too many singers, i suppose), a cascade victor that i mangled before i knew better, and an old gefell um70 that i haven't gotten around to sending home to the mothership for service (suspect i'm not going to enjoy the price on that one).