No Aux on SC600 - What am I doing wrong?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

No Aux on SC600 - What am I doing wrong?

Post by Derrick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Hello,

I feel silly for not being able to figure this out myself... While tracking on my new Souncraft 600 mixer, I am trying to use Aux output #1 to feed my headphone amp. I am turning up the Aux #1 volume on each channel strip for each track that I want to be heard in the headphone amp. I am also turning up the master Aux volume on the master strip for #1. I am plugging the cable to the headphone amp to the Aux #1 jack at the back of the console. I don't get any output. I have tried other Aux channels, but can't get any Aux output from either of them on my SC600. What am I doing wrong?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Can you PFL the auxes on the master strip?

And I've forgotten - which auxes are pre fader, and which are post fader?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:10 pm

OK, sorry for the delayed response... been so backed up with work. Anyhow, if I press the "AFL" (After Fade Listen), I can hear any track I turn the corresponding AUX volume up on just as I would expect. However, the "AFL" allows you to listen through your monitors... it doesn't do anything at the AUX out jack (not that it should - it's really like a "solo" button).

If I plug the AUX out into a high gain Marshall combo for a test, I can hear the program playing faintly. A headphone amp wont have that kind of gain though, so you don't so you can't hear the program at all through it. I think the faint signal heard through the hi gain amp is just crosstalk as no volumes or buttons effect the signal. Why is there no AUX output?
Image Image

Derrick

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Why is there no AUX output?
Did the connector that leads from the Aux master PCB to the output jacks come loose?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:25 am

Look on the aux pcb for fried 10 ohm fusing resistors, there's a pair for each pair of aux circuits. They are easy to locate as they are mounted up off the pcb. I find fried fusing resistors all the time on these, usually replacing them brings it up unless there's a fried opamp or blown cap. The caps are easy to spot, the chips can just be swapped out.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks guys.

Scrum, I don't think the connector came off... I just put it back in after taking it out a few times to figure out setting the jumpers and was careful. It's a new mixer to me so I'm still figuring it out.

Jim, I will pull it again and check the resistors and report back. I have to pull it anyways as the playback from the recorder is pegging the master meters so I know the jumpers are still wrong. I'm not having much luck with the jumpers either....
Image Image

Derrick

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 am

The Scum wrote:Did the connector that leads from the Aux master PCB to the output jacks come loose?
...Yes. :oops:
Image Image

Derrick