8-track, 8 channel console - 8 channel ADA - 8!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lebarton
audio school

8-track, 8 channel console - 8 channel ADA - 8!

Post by lebarton » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25 am

Hello everyone,

I have reregistered after not having posted for some time. My name is Brian LeBarton and I am happy to have a place to try and solve the following dilemma:

I use a lunchbox for the front end of all my synthesizers and such, and whether my music is good or not the signal then travels to my Lynx Aurora/computer where I edit and mix in the box before sending to tape (Otari MX5050 8-track), then back to the computer and bounce a stereo mix in the box.

But I have just purchased a Studer 169 which I'd like put in the middle of all this to handle mixing & summing duties. The plan would be to go out of the Lynx to tape, then to the Studer and then into to the computer (stereo out).

It seems that all this signal travel could harm the integrity of the audio if I don't do it in the right order.

I hope I have been specific enough, thank you Tape Op.

Best,
Brian LeBarton
www.stomachclub.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 am

Welcome back.

What is your question?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 am

I believe he is asking us to tell him he needs a patchbay.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:34 pm

The Scum wrote:I believe he is asking us to tell him he needs a patchbay.
Ok then.
Brian, you need a patchbay.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:33 pm

And it should also be noted that addressing this one piece:
whether my music is good or not
Will make the signal flow stuff less consequential.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

lebarton
audio school

Post by lebarton » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:46 am

Ha! Thank you. I do have a patch bay and it is lovely.

Do you believe it is possible to have one patch that allows me to monitor on the console during tracking and also have it ready to mix?

In summary I'd just like to be able to track and mix on the console along the way, and once the song is finished put it to tape without having to repatch.

I could see this being a lot easier if I was only recording to computer, or otherwise only recording to tape, but in using both my brain has hit a wall.

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 am

It is usual for a console's monitor section to connect the monitors, and one would patch the Master Mix Outputs into the AD converter, and monitor the Return DA converter to the console's 2-track return, resulting signal flowing towards the monitor section of the console.

However, if you are not using the center section of the console, you can do this with an external monitor controller with multiple stereo inputs. So, for example, with your patch bay, you HALF NORMAL the Outputs of the 2-Mix of your Console, to the Monitor Inputs of your external monitor box. Then you take a pair of patch cables and send the same signal to a pair of AD converters you want to use.

I would use another pair of DA converters to monitor back off the computer. You would patch those into the other stereo input of your monitor controller and switch between the Pre/Post Stereo Mix.

Hope this is of assistance,
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

lebarton
audio school

Post by lebarton » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:22 am

Thank you Mixwell.

I see, yes I have been using a Presonus Central Station (which has multiple stereo inputs and a light-pipe input which I tried to integrate momentarily) for my monitors as the console is a recent addition. Though I could patch them to the console now since the Presonus seems to be overstaying it's welcome...

So this routing you described would never create an audio loop at any point during monitoring, running out of the computer into the console and hearing what's happening? Sounds like a dream come true. I'm trying to accomplish all of this without purchasing any more gear but I can get into the back of that patchbay and half-normal like you said.

Here is a picture that hopefully paints the picture more clearly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/az1zhgeoylx97de/DSC04966.jpeg