Re playback systems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am

I can't speak to numbers or stats anymore than what the press says.

But I will say there was a time when a new release was a religious experience for me (starting with In Through the Out door and Steal Your Face and Waiting for Columbus, through Siamese Dream, and now any new Iggy or Lanegan or Steve Wynn; today, the new Mudhoney me get wood and I'm movin' money to get the new Mazzy Star); I can't say I see that in my teens or their friends,which is, of course a small sampling.

But still, my kids are happy with their IdjitPhones and IdjitPods, they don't even have or want stereos in their rooms.

Me, I have a stereo in the living room, one in the bedroom, my recording rig in the bedroom, bookshelf units in the bathroom and kitchen, one in my office, even a g-blaster in the garage ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 am

dfuruta wrote:dad rock
Dad rock? Hell, I'm a dad, and that music was being made when I was a little kid, and before I was born. It's grandpa rock! Of the guys who made the music, those that didn't die at age 27 and are still around are grandpa age now.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

A friend of mine used to say Flipper sounded to her like dad rock, so I guess you're correct!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm

dfuruta wrote:A friend of mine used to say Flipper sounded to her like dad rock, so I guess you're correct!
They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter than he,
And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
Flying there-under, under the sea!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:58 pm

That's what I was thinking of. But I wouldn't call that "rock," not even "grandpa rock."

Is there another Flipper? :wink:

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

OH MAN, LOLOLOLZ!

My 14 year old nephew is so stoked to go with me this weekend to check out Pinkish Black, Pallbearer, Saint Vitus, and Kylesa. There will be plenty of phenomenal musicians on the stage. He also likes a few Lady Gaga songs and some Pink Floyd stuff. His enthusiasm for music is so incredibly untainted. Most of his friends have taste just as eclectic.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:57 am

DAAAAAD you don't even know Flipper I'm so embarrassed

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 am

F#$@ all y'alls. That porpoise was punk.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:22 am

My kid digs Tchaikovsky. Of course, once puberty hits, all bets are off...

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 am

ubertar wrote: You may as well lament the lack of great original swing bands these days.
Boy, do I miss Benny Goodman...

I really miss Miles Davis.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 am

Are you "dad's" monitoring your kid's time and volume with those ear buds?

My audiologist says only very small children now test with undamaged hearing. She said many teens now test worse than 60 year olds.

Shoving off your kids with those things in their ears is a sure way to early hearing losses. Today's music is a thick waveform, very dense and compressed. That puts more music energy into your ears than dynamically mixed music.

Go get your self tested and bring your kids to be tested too. Do it every two years and keep a record of those tests, they are a monitor to how much damage and ear protection you may need.

If you are younger and have never had the tests, do yourself and your ears a favor. Deaf people don't listen to music much and they don't buy it either.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 pm

What?

:twisted:

Seriously, not a bad idear.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

My ears are pretty beat up, but there's gonna be some hard of hearing folks in the generations following mine.
Ivan the Threadstopper

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm for sure one of the Grandpa rock generation. My college buddy Bob and I actually opened for Benny Goodman in honest to God, Oshkosh, Wis. and I can testify: I miss Benny, he was awesome. One of my great uncles played with Miller and some of the other "Big Bands". He could play a convincing 'bone with just his thumbs and hands.
My wife and I had our kids late, so my son is 27 and daughter 21. They both grew up with a crazy dad with a band some of the time and a studio in the living room/dining room area all the time. Our house was a hang out for all of their friends. Nothing ever disappeared, and we never locked the doors.
I gave my daughter a pair of 440 shure phones for graduation, and she loved her lappy phone stereo till it was all stolen from her truck. I have a pair of the 840's, and my son has a 4k stereo in his 4-door pickup. When he started to listen to his cd's on those phones, he told me they were too good...they ruined a lot of his favorite cd's/mp3s of his life, because he could hear what was really there. I told him if he could ever go see Buddy Guy or BB King, he should. We were 1200 miles apart. 3 weeks later he called and told me he had gotten tickets to a BB King/ Buddy Guy concert, and Buddy was the opener. His eyes were opened, big time. He said Buddy could melt a guitar with his hands, and he's drug free because we both have DOT mandatory testing 'real' jobs. I don't hate on new, I can't even hate on new junk. There have always been the special ones, and then the rest.
Now there's a blog on the front of the main tape op page telling us all we need to jump to super high khz systems, that our "antique" equipment doesn't support, and none of the "Grandpa gear" will ever support. My wife and I both had portable 45 players back in our high school and for her younger days, up to we both have 96k 24bit studios of our own, and every step in between.
I believe that talent trumps technology every time, and if it sounds good it is, obvious quotes. Even though I'm in my 60's, I get really excited when I hear a great talent, especially if they are half my age or less, and live...It makes me believe there are real musicians out there, and not just studio magic puppets.
Life goes on, and perhaps 'natural selection' is no the longer rule (for TV game show "stars"), perhaps Simon Cowell and Karaoke win, but in the end, I seriously doubt it.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Probably OT... but the idea of disposable music in a culture isn't really all that bad, if that means that music has become deattached from commerce.
(In my case, that is certainly true...:D )

But do consider this... from the Folkways "Mbuti Pygmies of the Ituri Rainforest"
(Colin Turnbull.. 1992)
This is a description of one of the tracks from the liner notes....

9. Flute Solo (4482 A/9)

"This Mbuti man, Pakasi, cut a piece of cane, burned four stop-holes at the lower end,
plugged that end with a rolled leaf, and then notched the top end,
all in a few minutes.
After playing a while he seemed to lose all interest in the flute."

So.... as I intrepet this, a guy walks out of the forest, makes an instrument in a couple of minutes,
plays something spontaneous, then tosses the instrument away.... I find that to be really astounding.

The flute improv is damn good too.... check out the record sometime.