Mixing down to computer from Multitrack Cassette

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mincerray
audio school

Mixing down to computer from Multitrack Cassette

Post by Mincerray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Hello, searched for quite some time for an answer to this question but with out finding a definitive answer i figured i would just ask. i am wondering what to use to mixdown to my computer from the 2 RCA stereo outs on My Yamaha MT8x. i do not need to do any further mixing/editiing once it is on the computer and are simple looking for whatever interface/A/D converter will give me the most losless and representationally accurate transfer of the signal. I was looking at this(http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=GCI404) but am wondering if there is a more tried and true or go to standard piece of equipment for achieving this? Thanks.

snatchman
george martin

Re: Mixing down to computer from Multitrack Cassette

Post by snatchman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Mincerray wrote:Hello, searched for quite some time for an answer to this question but with out finding a definitive answer i figured i would just ask. i am wondering what to use to mixdown to my computer from the 2 RCA stereo outs on My Yamaha MT8x. i do not need to do any further mixing/editiing once it is on the computer and are simple looking for whatever interface/A/D converter will give me the most losless and representationally accurate transfer of the signal. I was looking at this(http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=GCI404) but am wondering if there is a more tried and true or go to standard piece of equipment for achieving this? Thanks.
The Rolls will work, ( overkill in my opinion) but if you are only going to send a stereo mix out of the cassette player into your computer, just send the line outs of the cassette player into the line in of the computer card..The signal will be -10 out of the RCA jacks into -10 RCA of your 'puter card. You can control the output volume of the master fader of the cassette player if you need to make an adjustment of levels going into the computer card..Good luck..

Mincerray
audio school

Post by Mincerray » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Computer wises I'm using a MacBook Pro with logic, so no RCA inputs, and while I could go into the 1/8th inch built in input/output I have doubts about it's quality?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Have you actually tried it, so you have some evidence to back up your doubts?

Give it a try - you might be surprised at the result. Or you'll have legitimate reasons to spring for something better. I would imagine that it's higher fidelity than the cassette source.

I'm not sure that Rolls guy does what you want - I don't see that it's got a computer interface of any sort in it - like a USB or FW port. An Apogee Duet would be more along the right lines...and the 2-in/-2out/USB product space has a zillion other contenders, as well.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 am

Good morning,

If you find a RCA Stereo to 1/8" Stereo adapter, at a local Radio Shack,
and plug it into your iMac's line input and record the audio, you can then find out if this low budget solution will work for you.

That Rolls device is not going to do it for you, as it is not an audio converter.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Good morning,

If you find a RCA Stereo to 1/8" Stereo adapter, at a local Radio Shack,
and plug it into your iMac's line input and record the audio, you can then find out if this low budget solution will work for you.

That Rolls device is not going to do it for you, as it is not an audio converter.

Cheers
^^^^
Good advice IMO

I've used this solution with an MT8X and a Porta 02 back in the day (1998/99) and felt the quality was just fine. Even when I listen back to some of those old recordings/mixes they still sound good (for what they were). No need really IMO to spend money on an interface.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 pm

for what they are is pretty damn good advice, IMHO. I have a Tascam 6480 (IIRC) in the closet. But the guy that sold it to me want's to buy it back from me. Sold.

computeruser
audio school

Post by computeruser » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I would buy a Tascam DP-004 which you record directly to SD card via RCA to 1/4 stereo plugs then transfer SD card to laptop. Or for a Desktop purchase a PCI soundcard such as a M-Audio 2496 soundcard which has stereo RCA in/out.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

I agree with Nick. I've used the RCA to quarter inch method many times with a tascam portastudio, and an old laptop with Audacity. the key is keeping the output volume from the tape machine low enough as to not clip the a/d convertors, which on that input are not forgiving when you push them. you'll just boost the volume digitally and end up with a pretty faithful transfer.

if you want something cheap an just a step up check out the Griffin iMic. its very similar to your built in a/d but also has a dedicated headphone out and a mic/line switch built in. I found that it was less sensitive to clipping than the a/d on my old laptop, which seemed to have a razor thin sweet spot. your newer Mac may be on par or better, though.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Yes, the adapters will work without noticable signal degradation..I've used XLR to 1/4", 1/8" adapters without problems..Good luck.