Upgrading to 500 series??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Upgrading to 500 series??

Post by dennisjames » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm

I have a little project studio at home and have been recording with a Roland VS-2400 CD. I'm thinking of upgrading to some outboard gear and I'm looking at the vast 500 series options. My questions are:

What do I need to know about a 500 series set-up?

Any suggestions for a chassis?

Any suggestions for a pre, an eq, and a compressor? I'm considering the Shadow Hills Mono Gama for a pre, the Grace M502 for a compessor, and the Great River 32 EQ for eq.

My "studio" is basically just for self-recording and not a commercial enterprise. I've released a couple of CD's, a film soundtrack, and some PSA work for the film director I did the film with ... all on the Roland but I've got the means and desire to move out of the box if I take a smallish step.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always to this generous community!!!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Upgrading to 500 series??

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:43 pm

dennisjames wrote:
What do I need to know about a 500 series set-up?

The thing to keep in mind with 500 series is that its a popular/convenient solution primarily because it allows you to mix/match modules in a modular form factor (either the chassis you see for sale, up to mixing consoles), either for purpose of designing your own channel strip or having a lot of processing at your fingertips...etc....

I wouldn't necessarily consider it an "upgrade" so to speak, as much as the hip thing right now in outboard gear...just a repackaging of hardware, and often redesigned to fit certain spec requirements (power being a big one, and of course size), you do pay a premium for 500 series when manufacturers sell both.

Which isn't to say that 500 series is good or bad, just my observation...

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

you would still need an interface if going DAW. or a tape machine? if you use outboard with the Roland it may not buy you much... honestly I don't know much about the quality of the AD conversion in those. but something to consider.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I wondered about that as well. I'd like to change format down the road ... oh, the teeter totter of options/decisions.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 am

Plugging into the chain that you described, and hitting your Roland via a line input should be a mind-blowingly obvious improvement over just plugging into the Roland's built in microphone preamp.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:47 am

I honestly cannot say enough great things about the Brent Averill lunchboxes and racks. I personally own a 6-space BAE rack that currently houses a pair of CAPI VP26 preamps, and I also have a BAE DLB with a pair of CAPI VP26 preamps in it on loan over here that I put together for a friend. The racks and power supplies are top notch, plus a single power supply will power 2 6-space racks. Awesome.

As far as preamps are concerned, if you are into DIY, the Classic Audio Products of Illinois VP26 (etc, etc) are a totally amazing front end to any DAW setup. I prefer them over the BAE 312 preamps, which are also awesome. (Side note: The 4 BAE 312s that I borrowed and extensively used for off and on for 5 years were built from actual API cards with the 2520 op-amps.)

I personally love the flexibility of the 500-series racks and modules, and combined with the DIY stuff that is out there it all ends up being a really affordable way to get an awesome front end to your setup.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

jhcore
ass engineer

Post by jhcore » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:03 am

I just hopped on the 500 series train with a 6 slot Lindell lunchbox and a couple of CAPI VP26s that I bought already assembled for incredibly reasonable (well under $400 each) prices. I coudn't be happier with the pres and the lunchbox. The Lindell was cheaper (a factor that drives many of my purchases) than comparable products; it can be found for $299 shipped if you do a little Googlage.

I also like the fact that quite a bit of 19" rack gear can be found for much cheaper in the 500-series form.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 am

If on a budget, you pay a premium for 500 designs. They are priced far above equivalent designs in traditional rack platforms, if you shop carefully and buy used. I also find 500 modules congested, too many tiny knobs in too small a space.

One can spend $500~600 quickly for a single compressor. You can buy used rack comps for about $100, if you shop around. Look for used Aphex, Rane, Symetrix and other 'off brands' not on the current fashion list.

Same with EQ's, I got a bunch of used EQ's for nothing, some as low as fifty bucks.

I filled a 12 space rack with goodies all for the price of one 500 module and a 500 rack to hold it.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 am

Jim Williams wrote:If on a budget, you pay a premium for 500 designs. They are priced far above equivalent designs in traditional rack platforms, if you shop carefully and buy used. I also find 500 modules congested, too many tiny knobs in too small a space.

One can spend $500~600 quickly for a single compressor. You can buy used rack comps for about $100, if you shop around. Look for used Aphex, Rane, Symetrix and other 'off brands' not on the current fashion list.

Same with EQ's, I got a bunch of used EQ's for nothing, some as low as fifty bucks.

I filled a 12 space rack with goodies all for the price of one 500 module and a 500 rack to hold it.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :P I'm on ebay right now looking at rack gear!

I agree with the "buy it used" thing, as everything that I have for the most part is used. My BAE rack w/ power supply was $400 from here on the TOMB. It took me a long time to commit to spending that kind of cash to dive in. I agree that the rack/power supply for 500 series is definitely a bit pricey for something that doesn't process any audio. However, once you are in, you are in.

For me, my plan is simply to build a bunch of preamps for my rack, so the small squished form factor isn't really an issue with them. However, I can definitely see how it could be an issue with busier modules. My VP26 preamps were under $300 each with op-amps DIY. They sound great and a bunch of local hero engineers/producers who I have been working in tandem with love the sounds that I'm getting as well. At under half as much as a BAE or API 312 preamp, I feel as if I'm on the right track.

http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/77/vp26-preamp/

As Jim said, if you want to have a single channel strip made up of great-sounding components (preamp, EQ, compressor) then yes, 500-series may NOT be the way to go on a budget. If you are looking to build a rack of 6-12 preamps that you'll pretty much never outgrow that will fit in a 3-space or 6-space rack with a power supply, then 500-series is the shit.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Plugging into the chain that you described, and hitting your Roland via a line input should be a mind-blowingly obvious improvement over just plugging into the Roland's built in microphone preamp.
Turns out you were really, really right! It was a mind blowing experience. As a matter of fact, I bought a 500 lunchbox, a couple of pre's, an eq, and a compressor but I got a new mic collection as an added bonus. I cannot believe the difference.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 am

dennisjames wrote:
Turns out you were really, really right! It was a mind blowing experience. As a matter of fact, I bought a 500 lunchbox, a couple of pre's, an eq, and a compressor but I got a new mic collection as an added bonus. I cannot believe the difference.
:P