low end lag in the kick drum

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 pm

I'd be worried that a huge bump at 30Hz would cause all kinds of problems that might not be apparent on your monitoring setup, especially if it's also causing problems that you CAN hear.

Mike's Mix Room
audio school graduate

Post by Mike's Mix Room » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

While it's a well-known trick when using a Pultec, the simultaneous boost/cut at 30Hz goes a long way toward shaping the low end. It clears out more of the mud and leaves the low thumpy stuff. You really have to play with the boost and cut levels to find the sweet spot though. Try your best to ignore where their respective levels end up and just go with what sounds right. It may look extreme (or not) but that doesn't really matter as long as it's working in your particular track.

I do this quite a bit and have never had the additional energy at 30Hz cause a problem. I think that comes down to your mix balance more than anything.

One other thought is to use some other type of EQ that's not as resonant when you're mixing the heavier stuff. I love the UAD Pultec for sure, but sometimes it's almost too "vintage" sounding for modern, heavy rock kick drums. If you have the Brainworx Digital V2 or the Cambridge in your UAD they are both pretty good for "fast" EQ duties. The Brainworx also has a de-esser/dynamic EQ section that may help deal with this exact situation. It sweeps all the way down to 20Hz (I think) and you can tune it while listening to the key. It's pretty cool!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am

chris harris wrote:I'd be worried that a huge bump at 30Hz would cause all kinds of problems that might not be apparent on your monitoring setup, especially if it's also causing problems that you CAN hear.
yeah. this is why i asked what frequency. 30 is really really low. i can't tell you how often i have to roll off tons of that stuff in mastering. which is fine, that's part of why you pay a masterer, but i can almost always tell when people's monitors just weren't reproducing the bottom octaves at all.

and if you're using a wide bandwidth, you're bringing up stuff even lower than 30...and i'm sure it sounds great on smaller monitors, but in the car or on big speakers i don't think it's gonna be too happening. especially if we're talking about fast hardcore/heavy stuff.

so i would say try a smaller boost at a higher frequency with a narrower bandwidth....and/or try putting a hi-pass after the boost to cut back the really subby stuff.

if you want to send me a mix i'd be happy to give it a listen here.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 pm

I definitely utilize the boost/cut in most of these situations. I remember the first time I tried it being like "holy shit, there it is!"

As for monitors, I mostly rely on b&w matrix 805s. Certainly not the best reach down low, but they have a lot more down there than a lot of other near fields I've used. I also have a sub I can toss in there if I need, though I find that I can usually tell the sub frequencies are too much on my master fader inserts - the pumping makes it pretty obvious. If that's happening, I either roll back the boost, employ some multiband dynamics or even a high pass of some kind. Of course, quote a few records went out the door before I ever figured that out. Ah well

Mike, I did try the brainworx as a demo before my last plugin purchases but admittedly it seemed a bit overly complicated as I remember, but maybe I'll give it another shot the next time around.