Fireware AD/DA

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrb
ass engineer

Fireware AD/DA

Post by mrb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about which AD/DA converter should I get to complement a xfireware Rosetta-800/MB pro/PT 10 rig.

I run a small studio. 8 tracks 1" Studer A80 for tracking, Studer 810 1/4 " for mixing. Rosetta 800 is used for making a digital copy of the master.

However, more and more often, I'm getting bands that ask for an hybrid approach: Analog tracking,digital editing, tracking additional stuff in PT and finally mixing OTB to 1/4.
Currently I'm using the DA of the Rosetta as 4 stereo groups but doesn't seem ideal, as I'm doing some kind of bouncing and that limits my use of outboard as well.
Time to get more AD/DA channels!

-Of course we got Symphony and we got Thunderbolt but it's bit expensive for me.
I'm looking for more into the second hand market.

What do you think? Should I sell the Rosetta and get dome 16 channels AD/Da? Keep the Rosetta, linking it to a Apollo or some RME?

Thanks.

Thanks
Max RB

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 am

checkout the Antelope Orion 32. 32 channels through USB 2.0. It really works. I had one (search for another thread) and the only reason I let it go was I could not get latency low enough with my setup and Pro Tools 9 (on Win 7). If you are using a Rosetta w/Firewire today then I don't think it will be an issue for you.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 am

digitaldrummer wrote:checkout the Antelope Orion 32. 32 channels through USB 2.0. It really works. I had one (search for another thread) and the only reason I let it go was I could not get latency low enough with my setup and Pro Tools 9 (on Win 7). If you are using a Rosetta w/Firewire today then I don't think it will be an issue for you.

Mike
What's the lowest buffer setting you could get to work reliably in PT9?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:48 pm

chris harris wrote: What's the lowest buffer setting you could get to work reliably in PT9?
with apologies for the thread hijack... 128 samples was as low as it goes.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:45 am

Yikes! Not low enough!