Let's talk about 3-Way....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm

JWL wrote:I think most tweeters are crossed over around 3-5k, regardless of whether it is a 2 or 3 way design. There are obviously exceptions but for the most part I think this is true.
while I think that is true...regardless of the crossover freq..certain drivers can handle the particular range of frequencies with more finesse. when you have an 8" speaker handeling all your low & mid duties...there is definately a lack of detail on in the low-mids & upper-low's. that is the probably the crux I why I like 3 way designs.

JWL wrote:There are definitely some great 3 way designs out there, but they aren't cheap. In my experience 2 ways are more cost-effective as a whole.
that's the post of this whole post. not what isn't out there, but what is out the that is affordable.

not trying to be difficult, and I do appreciate your feedback. :D

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:30 pm

I was going to post that I think Abbey Road uses the B&W 801 3-ways but they are also quite spendy so it's bit of a moot point.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 pm

jhharvest wrote:I was going to post that I think Abbey Road uses the B&W 801 3-ways but they are also quite spendy so it's bit of a moot point.
I've come across a few used pairs near my price range..but not in passable condition. how do you spend that kind of money, then thrash those beauties?

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:10 pm

They are pretty big. Dogs, cats, small children all are viable options. D:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 pm

When I first got my JBL's, my kids were 8, 3, and 2. I hadn't had them a week when the kids decided to use them for mountain climbing practice (the speakers were mountains, of course). I'm pretty sure there was some "king of the (very expensive) hill" involved as well.

One driver has never really recovered...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm

we'll guess what...I picked up a pair of Event 2030's a a joint venture with my wife as an early x-mas present.

after listening to several of my mixes, and lots of others I admire....I have to say, I love them.

I needed to do a bit of tuning and volume adjustment, but now they are killin it. the highs are nice and crisp, the lows are smooth and very acurate (with correct placement from the wall...I had to move my desk a bit)....but best of all: solid, accurate mids. and, dear god, the stereo image is phenomenal. sure they aren't ATC's...but they were a 1/4 of the price. I'm very happy to be mixing on these. I have a chamber music project coming up and strings sound amazing on these, very articulate and accurate, not flattering.

two complaints:

no detents on the gain, HF shelf, or LF shelf.

also, the bass port is in the same side for the left and right speakers. it made placement a little trickier. as long as you give them adequate space the bass imaging is still pretty accurate.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Awesome! It's a fantastic feeling when you have a really good gear purchase. If you remember, it'd be cool if you could post back a second opinion after a couple of months just to say how you are getting on.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:50 pm

jhharvest wrote:Awesome! It's a fantastic feeling when you have a really good gear purchase. If you remember, it'd be cool if you could post back a second opinion after a couple of months just to say how you are getting on.
I'll try to do that. New stuff is always a bit shiner. we'll see how they hold up when the polish wears off.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:17 am

ott0bot wrote:just wondering in any affordable pairs... would love to have more time mixing with non-ported, coxaial, or 3-way designs...as those have seemed to mesh with my particular set if sonic transducers.
Hmmm... Did I not mention Yamaha NS-1000Ms already... Sounds exactly what you've been asking for. Pickup a Crown K2 to power them and you'll have floored with what you can get in the $1k-$1.2k or so range!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 am

Recording Engineer wrote:
ott0bot wrote:just wondering in any affordable pairs... would love to have more time mixing with non-ported, coxaial, or 3-way designs...as those have seemed to mesh with my particular set if sonic transducers.
Hmmm... Did I not mention Yamaha NS-1000Ms already... Sounds exactly what you've been asking for. Pickup a Crown K2 to power them and you'll have floored with what you can get in the $1k-$1.2k or so range!
thanks for the suggestion. I scoured the city for some decent 3-ways (that sounds bad). nothing I found on craigslist (that sounds worse) or local hi-fi shops (that's better) really fit the bill. I don't like buying stuff on eBay that I can't test or don't know the exact product I'm searching for....plus shipping aged speakers is never a great idea...

I ended up with the Event 2030's. They were brand new, have a warranty, they were in my budget...and so far ithey're doing the exact thing I was hoping for...more accuracy in the mids, proper imaging on the bass, and a more accurate stereo field.