Let's talk about 3-Way....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Let's talk about 3-Way....

Post by ott0bot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am

...monitors, of course.

So...what's the best quality vs cost 3-way on the market? passive or active. I'd love some recommends.

interested in the new Event 3-ways, but can't find whole lot of reviews yet.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Lower end three ways are really tough. Something about getting a good balance between the crossovers. There are even a bunch of higher end three ways that I don't like as much as their cheaper, lower end two-way counterparts. But there are plenty I love as well (ATC SCM50's deserve a lot of attention).

What kind of budget are you talking about here?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Yamaha NS 29?s and rework the internal passive ?crossover? with quality Polyprop/foil caps and stuff the box with cotton insulation from ?audiomute? or fiber blankets from Uhaul. Same stuff just thinner, fold it and STUFF IT!

You will be blown away, no need for a subwoofer and very accurate and smooth crossover. Make sure you use a decent amp and room EQ.

You won?t forget this.

NS 29?s cost between $30-$50.
Harumph!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I've had good success in the past mixing in 3 way speakers, even some JBL L100's. for some reason when using modern, ported, near fields...I just don't have as much success...and I end up going back and correct things more often. I hope to use the 3 ways in-conjunction with my current set up so I do less double checking and second guessing on my mixes.

budget wise...1000-1500 max. but I'm ok with less.

and Brian. thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for a pair locally and see if I can get them I the cheap.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Brian wrote:Yamaha NS 29?s...
Never heard of them. Got a link?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:22 pm

I use a number of straight-up home stereo speakers to fill that role. I'm almost not using the Mackies at all at this point, but it's nice to be able to check...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm

ott0bot wrote:budget wise...1000-1500 max. but I'm ok with less.
Used Yamaha NS-1000Ms go for much cheaper than that and can be found pretty occasionally. Give them a a good powerful amp you'll be VERY happy!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 pm

ok good info fellas.

I'll do some more research on 3-ways and see what I come up with.

one more...
does anyone have experience withe newer coaxial speaker designs? namely the Presonus scepter s8, or the equator Q10. that may be another way I'm leaning. I've heard older altecs, and liked them, but those were massive. way too big for my spot.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I just got a pair of Sceptre S6's and am loving them. Not a "big" bass, but way more detailed imaging and clearer, smoother high end than I've ever had before. I've been listening and remixing all sorts of projects that seemed fine with my old monitors. Everything I've redone translates better on other systems. I'm a believer.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 pm

^cool thanks!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

I have a pair of vintage Rogers Studio 1 monitors (passive with XLR inputs) that are 3 way. I've been using them as my main monitors since I found them in the trash in 2010. Amazing speakers. Had to replace the woofers after blowing one of them last winter (what a PITA finding the originals), but now I have spare woofers and mids. I love them. I pair them with NS-10Ms and a single powered Avantone Mix Cube. I'm using an Adcom GFA 545II to power the Rogers and I'm happy with the result, but considering a new amp for 2014.

If you can find a pair of Studio 1 monitors, you should be able to grab them for about a grand. They went for that much in 1982 dollars, so sometimes I see them going for about $2400/pair on UK/German/etc ebay.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/opi ... o-1-please
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl ... 33325&read
http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/rogers/s ... review.htm
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=448974

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 am

Why do you want a 3-way speaker? As has been mentioned there are often more crossover components at play in them.

In general my preference is to go with a good 2-way system, then if additional low end is needed, add a sub.

Room treatment is at least as important as which speaker you use, as always.....

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 pm

JWL wrote:Why do you want a 3-way speaker? As has been mentioned there are often more crossover components at play in them.

In general my preference is to go with a good 2-way system, then if additional low end is needed, add a sub.

Room treatment is at least as important as which speaker you use, as always.....
yep

I stated at the beginning why I was interested...I've been happy with the quickness and accuracy of my mixes on 3-way monitors. just wondering in any affordable pairs are worthwhile.

treatment isn't an issue, and while I understand you prefer 2-ways....my ears don't seem to have as clear imaging with the most of the ones I've used, comparatively to some of the classier 3 ways. if I can't find a good cost/value, and I'm stuck with inaccurate monitors with a poorly designed x-over...that's not going to help.

would love to have more time mixing with non-ported, coxaial, or 3-way designs...as those have seemed to mesh with my particular set if sonic transducers.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 pm

It seems to me, that a well designed 3-way would have one driver to devote to that all important midrange while not sacrificing bass or treble and not have x-over weirdness in the middle.

I've noticed that I often prefer a 3-way PA speaker if there's vox and the woofer in the 2-way is 15" or 18". I feel like 8", 10" and even 12" is better "voiced" for voice. Often. Not sure if this translates to the smaller mid-drivers found in monitors.

When I was a kid, my downstairs neighbor (musician/friend, as well) had a pair of JBL 15" woofer 3-way monitors that he used for his stereo. Sounded mindbogglingly good. When he pulled off the grill cloths, the drivers were all kinda packed together. They didn't look like they could have 15" drivers on the outside. This was many moons ago, I'm only 99% sure they had 15"s, but I am sure their size belied their sound and speaker complement.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm

I think most tweeters are crossed over around 3-5k, regardless of whether it is a 2 or 3 way design. There are obviously exceptions but for the most part I think this is true.

A 2 way design will play from there on down, which most modern woofers can handle pretty well.

A 3 way design introduces another crossover point somewhere in there, often around 400Hz or so.

There are definitely some great 3 way designs out there, but they aren't cheap. In my experience 2 ways are more cost-effective as a whole.