Aiight, Chinese LDC's you actually use

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:MXL 2001's. I keep wishing I could figure out a cheap and easy way to make 'em even better
check this out (same mic as the MXL2001):

http://www.studiodrumtracks.com/mics/

it will help some - it might make it sound like a $300 mic instead of a $15 mic...
Wow. Thanks. Those look like steps I can follow! I was gonna say that my 2001s were unmodded, but I forgot that I did do the windscreen removal thingy. I guess I don't consider that a mod because there's no soldering involved, but that ain't true.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm

I've always liked my SP C1, though I recently had JJ Audio mod it (is that cheating?).

Also I've used my pair of M-Audio Novas for drum OH's for years. Pretty clean.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:30 pm

agershon: yes. :lol:

(FWIW, the ttrack what inspired this thread w/ CAD GLX 3000 on lead voc and ADK A51V on BVs is here - run thru a Eureka with light compression, w/ ITB limiting and pass filter and slight plate reverb and a touch more compression.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

I actually really like my MXL V6 Silicon Valve mic on hihat of all things...

but then again, I really never turn the hh mic up much at all... if ever...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm

CAD is an interesting company, at least on the "cheap mics but pretty good" category. The earlier mics, such as the original E100, are (in my poor brain) classics that are still affordable. The newer ones are more subject to the less ideal market forces, but they do use Transsounds capsules which are readily available for DIY types such as myself.

And the still produced E100S is a really nice mandolin mic, for whatever that is worth.

vvv: You sing Tom Waits on occasion? What's funny about that is that to me Waits is somebody you can't imitate; you can cover his songs but you absolutely must find your own true voice in the process.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Oh yeah, not only do I like him, but when I don't intend to I sometimes draw comparisons. Hopefully it's not (just) my voice! :lol:

It's a cool thing when your influences come through unconsciously.

Some time back we did a Tom Waits cover thing in the Listen to My Shite forum; I did "Sixteen Shells from a 30.06".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 am

I've got the Tape Op Goup Buy ribbons that get used pretty regularly. I also reviewed mics by Ayeser a couple of years ago for RecordingHacks.com and ended up getting a pair of their L36B LDCs. I'm doing an acoustic record right now where I'm using them as room mics for a fake reverb free record.
http://recordinghacks.com/2011/10/13/a ... 6b-review/

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:33 am

Tracked vocals yesterday with an ADK A6 that came out pretty smooth IMO.

ADK A6 > EHX 12AY7 > RNLA

Really surprised how this mic handles plosives and doesn't seem to have any sibilance issues at less than $250.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:27 pm

I've got the MXL 990 and 2 MXL V250 mics. I've got the V250s to use as a "matched pair" for drum OHs, but I haven't got to use them much...they were $50 each on special. The 990 was my 1st LDC. The singer I've recorded most has complained that it has a midrange "nasal" sound, but he sounds that way on any mic.

I like the cheap mics enough that I'm really considering selling my better BlueBird mic.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 pm

kevin206 wrote:The 990 was my 1st LDC. The singer I've recorded most has complained that it has a midrange "nasal" sound, but he sounds that way on any mic.
For what it's worth the 990 is actually a small diaphragm condenser, the body just looks more like an LDC. I've found using it more like I'd normally use an SDC often gets better results than using it in situations I'd use an LDC in.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 pm

jgimbel wrote:
kevin206 wrote:The 990 was my 1st LDC. The singer I've recorded most has complained that it has a midrange "nasal" sound, but he sounds that way on any mic.
For what it's worth the 990 is actually a small diaphragm condenser, the body just looks more like an LDC. I've found using it more like I'd normally use an SDC often gets better results than using it in situations I'd use an LDC in.
After I posted I remembered hearing that the 990 has a 3/4" diaphragm. I'm not sure where the cutoff is for a LDC. Maybe it's medium...MDC. I can't honestly say that it sounds fantastic, but it gets the job done well enough for anything I've done. I do wish that I had done a bit more research before I purchased the 990. I was getting pretty good results with a SDC. The SDC just didn't have "the look" of a studio vocal mic.

BTW, Jesse, I know that you have a nice selection of mics. When have you found the 990 useful?...and sorry for the hijack :oops:

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 am

jgimbel wrote:
I used to have one of these. free mod: I found that you get much better results if you pop the top off and expose the capsule, then use a windscreen. You have to be more careful with it, but the sound is less muddy.

Alternately you can do a Joly and remove some of the mesh and your capsule won't be exposed. Stock there's just too dang much mesh.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:54 am

If I'm not mistaken the Mojave mics are made in China and finished/tested in the U.S. My 301FET has supplanted the AT 4000 series mics as my all around, multipurpose LDC.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I was considering a pair of the Mohabe 201 Jfits, but then reconsidered because I really am happy with the @4040 pair.

And broke.

And still haven't even tried the CAD M179 pair I have ...

Anywhat, the 301 is multi-pattern? I'm intrigued ...

But still broke.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 am

It's the bee's knees. Guitar amp, bass amp, acoustic guitar, vocals, mono OH, sounds great in fig 8. It's just bright enough to be articulate without sounding harsh.