Aiight, Chinese LDC's you actually use

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Aiight, Chinese LDC's you actually use

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:07 pm

I have two I am actually rather digging a lot on vocals (and as a change from my "better" mic's):

The ADK A-51 Type V is a very solid mic; the presence bump is fairly unobtrusive and it really sounds pretty clean (but not harsh), balanced and relatively uncolored. Maybe it's the transformer I'm digging so much?

The CAD GLX 3000 is tons of fun, having cardoid, figure 8 and omni, along with a pad and low-cut filter.

I have a few others, but these I use, used today.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I have a Stellar (CM6?) that's pretty nice, but i always forget to use it as it's not usually best for most of my applications. Nice sounding mic though, i need to remember it more often.

Also have a pair of CAD M179s that are great on toms, haven't liked them so much for voice, but i'll probably try them on bass cab at some point.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Well, on several levels, I guess it would be "half Chinese?" But I have a Dorsey-modded MXL V67 that is a regular go-to. One of my other go-to vocal LDC's is in the same boat-- Sterling ST-66 tube. God Bless Guitar Center, I guess, but these two are great. I personally picked the Sterling out of a line-up after a vocal mike shootout with quite a few more expensive brand name mikes; the Sterling won-out. The MXL was purchased here at the TOMB, and it has been one of the best-value, most useful serendipity purchases I have made...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:16 am

I like those M179's also, didn't think about it to realize they are China-made.

(Me and the kids is currently wartching Tai-Pan in the evenings.)

Of course, I have AT4040's, but I don't consider them "Chinese", either.

I have a V69ME, what I understand is the tube version of the V67 - sweet mic, altho' it's a pain to have to let it warm up.

I seem to recall JW liking some Sterling mic on snare?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:24 am

I have a NSonic NS-1 ribbon (which was the same as the Nady RSM-3) that I use on guitar amps a LOT. It appears to have the offset ribbon (Nady had to change theirs due to Royer patent infringement...).

I had a pair of the Nady RSM-1's but recently sold them. I really liked them on vocals (for a specific sound).

I also have one of the Advanced Audio CM-47 - which was born in China but then later moved to Canada and then finally to the USA... 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

passnthru
pluggin' in mics

Post by passnthru » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 am

vvv wrote:I seem to recall JW liking some Sterling mic on snare?
St31 aka Groove Tubes "convertible" I love mine as overheads live and pointed right at the snare.

Don't forget the MCA SP1's

JP
Now, tell me why did I do that?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am

The ADK A6 is a super groovy mic.

Loving it on AC guitars, woodwinds, vocals, even guitar amps occasionally.

$250 USD is an insane price for this mic.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 am

I forgot all about Chinese ribbons!

I have an NOS R2 and a cuppla MXL R144's that I use regularly on amps; I have used the R144 on drum near room mic before and enjoyed it. They are sometimes just the thing on vocals, especially when I'm channeling T. Waits. :twisted:

I did have to do some minor mods, ribbon-tightening, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 pm

I've never been happy with any of the cheap-o Chinese stuff...you can go Russian (Oktava), Japanese (audio technica), or Austrian(AKG perception) for the same dollar and get much better sound.

I will say, though, I have a pair of studio projects c4 sdc's that sound great in omni on a ton of sources. the cardioid tends towards brittle, but in omni they are smooth and sound great on a piano or strings, or as room mics.

Theo_Karon
pushin' record

Post by Theo_Karon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:32 am

Studio Projects C1 still makes itself useful every now and again
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 am

MXL 2001's. Use them for drum OH almost all the time. I got the first one for $15 new at GC and then paid $79 for a used one to "match" it. It was hard for me to spend $79 on a used mic I bought new for $15, but I'm glad I have a pair. I keep wishing I could figure out a cheap and easy way to make 'em even better, but I probably wouldn't be able to even hear a difference in my current recording/mixing environment.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 am

A cuppla-3 cheap and easy things is:

1. use needle-nose pliers and side-cutters to remove some of the inner screening;

2. dampen the body with either a layer of rubberized caulk or by packing in foam or scrap cloth (I use denim or flannel but I'm a ol' grunge-rocker);

3. I'm not specifically sure about your mic's, but some Chinese have interior hi-pass switches you could try.

I have some of those SP C4's I bought for OH's, and while I liked 'em, greatly preferred the AT4040's.

For a guy like me who likes omni, it's weird I've never tried 'em that way on acoustics - now I shall!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:MXL 2001's. I keep wishing I could figure out a cheap and easy way to make 'em even better
check this out (same mic as the MXL2001):

http://www.studiodrumtracks.com/mics/

it will help some - it might make it sound like a $300 mic instead of a $15 mic...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:10 am

vvv wrote:
I have some of those SP C4's I bought for OH's, and while I liked 'em, greatly preferred the AT4040's.

For a guy like me who likes omni, it's weird I've never tried 'em that way on acoustics - now I shall!
they shine in omni. the highs roll off, as to be expected, and thy reveals a nice neutral sound...kinda like the josephson sdc's...but those sound that nice in cardioid!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 am

I picked up a few of the CAD GXL3000s a while back and still use them regularly. I like them overall, except I find they are prone to sibilance, especially in fig-8 mode (where I tend to use them a lot with singer/songwriters playing and singing at the same time).

I definitely have other mics I like better but these are serviceable.