Trying to figure out how to set up patchbays for this....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Trying to figure out how to set up patchbays for this....

Post by alexevansohio » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey all,

I'm hoping you might be able to recommend a good way of setting up patchbays for a radio live/recording studio. We currently have a 16 channel Ramsa console with the direct outs running to 16 channels of converters to ProTools. We have 16 XLR inputs on wallplates in the live room than feed into the XLR inputs on the console currently. I'd like to move in my external pres and be able to use them instead of the Ramsa pres for tracking purposes, but I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this, as from what I've read, having mic signals on a TRS patchbay isn't the best idea.

Ideally, I'd like to have a setup along these lines:

Mic inputs from wallplates in live room into
Patchbay, which allows to me to patch mic signals either into the Ramsa pres or external pres running into the line inputs on the Ramsa.
I'd also have the inserts on a patchbay with my compressors.

Is there any fairly simple way of doing this? Am I overthinking it? Should I just put the mic signals on a TRS patchbay and go from there?

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 am

You should make an XLR patchbay for your mic signals and preamp inputs. Then, use a TRS patchbay for your inserts and compressors.

Alternatively, and probably better, you could just add inputs for your external preamps to your wall plate in the tracking room and then just have the preamp outputs on your TRS patchbay.

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alexevansohio » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 am

chris harris wrote:You should make an XLR patchbay for your mic signals and preamp inputs. Then, use a TRS patchbay for your inserts and compressors.

Alternatively, and probably better, you could just add inputs for your external preamps to your wall plate in the tracking room and then just have the preamp outputs on your TRS patchbay.
Hmmm. Ideally, I would want to have a fully normally bay for the mic inputs, and then patch in when I wanted to use a preamp other than the console pres. It doesn't look like building a fully normalled XLR bays is possible. Since space in our control room is at a premium, I'd rather not have 16 XLR patch cables hanging out of one of our racks permanently, and that makes patching a lot less clear as well.

I may just do it on a TT bay and be extremely careful about switching off phantom power before patching anything. We don't use any vintage mics or tube or ribbon mics- mostly just workhorse dynamics and a handfull of FET condensers, so I don't think it'll be too risky.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Alex,

We are using the ART XLR splitter boxes in just that way (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTARTS8). Also, you can use the TRS out on external pres to go into a patchbay; you still need to plug the XLR input into the front (or back) of your rackmount pre. Use inserts on the board to get into the Ramsa.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 am

FWIW, and a cuppla people here suggested what I do, is use a XLR snake for those conectors. I paid <US$50 for a 6' 10 male XLR's to 10 female XLR's inna box.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:11 am

chris harris wrote:Alternatively, and probably better, you could just add inputs for your external preamps to your wall plate in the tracking room and then just have the preamp outputs on your TRS patchbay.
this is what I would recommend