solder-less SOIC to DIP8 adapter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dissonantdissident
alignin' 24-trk

solder-less SOIC to DIP8 adapter?

Post by dissonantdissident » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey folks,
I was looking at SOIC to DIP adapters, and I saw this contraption, which appears to be a solder-less adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Adapte ... B009VB74H6
Anyone try these? Everyone may be using them, but it's the first time that I've noticed them and I could save some cash not having a dude mount some opamps, on the normal adapters, if these are what I think they are and work.
turn up the pedal steel.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:15 pm

That looks like it's intended for a production environment, so people can program little microprocessors or EEPROM modules. It'll probably work fine from the basic standpoint of establishing electrical connectivity.

They look like they'll be large enough that they won't fit in every application. The basic framework looks like it might be made for 16 or 20 pin chips, just that this version only has 8 of the contacts installed. If the gear gets transported, I'm not sure if the chips would stay seated in the adaptor, or if the adaptors would stay seated on the board.

I also can't comment on their long-term reliability. I do that that high-quality ZIF sockets cost 20 times that amount.

To my sense, it ultimately looks like a lot of work to avoid learning how to properly work with surface mount components. It's not that hard, really.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: solder-less SOIC to DIP8 adapter?

Post by Andy Peters » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 pm

dissonantdissident wrote:Hey folks,
I was looking at SOIC to DIP adapters, and I saw this contraption, which appears to be a solder-less adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Adapte ... B009VB74H6
Anyone try these? Everyone may be using them, but it's the first time that I've noticed them and I could save some cash not having a dude mount some opamps, on the normal adapters, if these are what I think they are and work.
$5 for a ZIF socket is about an order of magnitude too cheap. I wouldn't trust it.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 pm

If you're looking for a soldered version of the adapter, I'd like to humbly submit the SOIC-8 adapters from my employer, as well:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/494

Again, kinda a funny shape if you have anything directly south of the IC.

And you still have to solder the SOICs to 'em. But we've also got flux pens, heat guns, solder wick and cross-lock tweezers to help. I thought there was a SMT tutorial video, but I'm not turning it up tonight.

SMT ain't voodoo. Maybe I should build a 1272 on a postage stamp to prove it...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 am

The Scum wrote:If you're looking for a soldered version of the adapter, I'd like to humbly submit the SOIC-8 adapters from my employer, as well:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/494

Again, kinda a funny shape if you have anything directly south of the IC.

And you still have to solder the SOICs to 'em. But we've also got flux pens, heat guns, solder wick and cross-lock tweezers to help. I thought there was a SMT tutorial video, but I'm not turning it up tonight.

SMT ain't voodoo. Maybe I should build a 1272 on a postage stamp to prove it...
Fantastic resource! Now I can plan to build some automation faders and stuff...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.