Buying Mics In London?? Anyone Living in the UK??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Buying Mics In London?? Anyone Living in the UK??

Post by tonewoods » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey all...

OK, I'm totally mystified...

I'm thinking of heading over to the UK this summer, and thought I'd have a gander at London's Craigslist to see if anything interesting was kicking around...

Check this out...

The prices on used Neumann mics are hard to believe...
Cheap!
Go down that list--there hardly is a mic that is
totally underpriced compared to the States...

And yet on E%$y, UK prices seem to be right in the ballpark...

They can't all be scams...?

Maybe VAT isn't coming into play??

Enlighten me...
Thanks!!
Bruce
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

A QM69 for ?1700? I'm a little skeptical but I don't really know.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm

I thought I read somewhere about an extraordinary amount of scams on high-end pro audio in the UK???

If I recall they were people that insisted on getting money wired to them, not dealing in person, etc?which is dumb and SCREAMING scam at least to me, so if you are interested in making a purchase I would say exercise caution and common sense!

That to me seems like a lot of vintage Neumann microphones to be for sale at once?I don't believe it. I would be surprised if all those ads weren't scams, with photos lifted off eBay or whatever.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

I can't speak as to those listings exactly (I'm pretty sure they are scams but I guess you never know unless you ask to meet the guy/gal in person), but in general pretty much anything Pro Audio related is more expensive in the UK than the US unless it's manufactured in the UK/sometimes Europe. Indeed, this applies to any electronic item at all.

FWIW, Craigslist is not that widely used in the UK. You'd be better off looking at Gumtree, which is essentially the same thing. You'll get some scams but they are generally quite obvious.
Hippocratic Mastering: Do No Harm to your carefully recorded and mixed audio.

http://www.hippocraticmastering.com/

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 am

By the way, I know Neumann mics were manufactured in Europe but obviously I meant items that are still being produced!
Hippocratic Mastering: Do No Harm to your carefully recorded and mixed audio.

http://www.hippocraticmastering.com/

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

kingtoad wrote:
FWIW, Craigslist is not that widely used in the UK. You'd be better off looking at Gumtree, which is essentially the same thing. You'll get some scams but they are generally quite obvious.
Thanks!!

Yeah, I went and looked at high-end mandolin prices too, and saw the same thing--stuff that is just too good to be true...
A 25K Gilchrist for 5K, and a 25K Monteleone for 6K...

I guess I'm just used to seeing a scam every once-and-awhile, but a whole page of 'em??
Weird...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler