Sonar X2/Avid Artist crash

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Sonar X2/Avid Artist crash

Post by psinglet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I am trying to use Sonar X2 Studio along with Avid Artist Control and Avid Artist Mix controllers.
When opening a project with the controllers enabled Sonar crashes.
I discovered I can open Sonar, then disable the controllers, then open a project, then re-enable the controllers and then the project will open. A workaround, but not very user friendly.
This is a new reinstall on a brand new computer (Dell quad core Intel 3.2, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro/64, Presonus 1818vsl). Sonar did exactly the same thing on the old computer unless the entire project was created in that install of X2 (crashed opening Sonar 8.5 projects). Have not yet tried a project created entirely in the new install, but Sonar will not open a project created on the old computer without crashing.
I have downloaded and installed all the latest patches, drivers etc. from Cakewalk, Avid and Presonus.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Back in the day when I used Sonar, they had a pretty hoppin forum. I'd check there, or just contact Cakewalk tech support.

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks JWL. I have posted on the forum, but no one has much input. I'll try the support route. Was hoping maybe someone here had the same setup.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:50 pm

We just installed a version of Sonar X2a last night. I don't know if it fixes the problem you're having, but they generally enumerate the problems the update is trying to fix.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks. I'll try and see if an update is available. A new version of the Avid Artist drivers did come out recently that fixed a lot of the connectivity problems.