TOMB group buy ribbbon mic: Who still has/uses thiers??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DokorderFreq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DokorderFreq » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 pm

OMG!! :shock: I wasn't expecting to hear that! Can only blame the slack-ass economy for it. Tough global market too. Very sad; I wish them well. Jon, I'm thinking that you've made a safety net of your expertise in these mics to keep you up & running for a long while to come. Never lose that edge!

Kinda makes this whole thread seem somber now *sigh*.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I own a TOMB ribbon.. I only purchased one instead of "I'll take two and I can pay" I think i went in on a pair with someone else.

I've used it as a mono front of drum kit room mic on nearly every recording since 2005.

I had M. Joly mod it back in 2007-2008 and it still has sat as mono close room mic for drum kit every since.

I'm sure it will remain there as well. Even though I've purchased a pair of ShinyBox ribbons as well as a handful of other ribbon mic options.

damn.. this is my first post here on TOMB since July.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:52 pm

ShinyBox wrote:On the unfortunate side, PPA is closing it's doors. They've been a fixture here in Seattle for the local studio guys, they were a font of knowledge, support, and great customer service, and will be sorely missed.

I wish Garth and Brian the best!

Regards

ju
Damn. I was hoping to get in there and have them give me advice on which protools route to go with... Wanting to upgrade from the TDM mix plus... Prefer to talk to someone in person rather than internet peanut gallery.

I hope its not too late to get some more PPA hard drives.. My old protools rig loves their drives.... newer drive technology makes it do screwy things.

DokorderFreq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DokorderFreq » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 am

Idunno...my logic says they'd be buttoning up everything to clear out by 12/31/13. I'd be on the horn/email post haste. Last I looked (about 2 weeks ago) their website was still up, no contact was made though. And talk about gear upgrades: I've got units that'll only operate under SCSI II - try finding THAT format these days!! Anyways, best of luck on those HDs.