TOMB group buy ribbbon mic: Who still has/uses thiers??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DokorderFreq
alignin' 24-trk

TOMB group buy ribbbon mic: Who still has/uses thiers??

Post by DokorderFreq » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:06 pm

OK...Saw one of these Tape Op ribbon mics slip through the Bay recently, and before then I never knew of them. Apparently there was a group buy for these Chinese ribbon mics back in '05. The subject threads within the TOMB get wacky after a few pages, and there never seems to be any confirmed closure to the deal. I'm assuming about 400 of these things got distributed thru the group buy (they were supposedly sold in pairs, thus 200 participants). However, not one member boasts/bitches about receiving theirs...the threads die abruptly. I do however believe that Dr.MJ received at least one pair, and the Bay seller appears to have been an original participant. Other than those two individuals it's anyone's guess!

So, in a qwest to figure out how many were presented to the group, I'd like for all TapeOp members that participated in that group buy back in '05 to come forward and state if they received them, still have them, still use them and how much they enjoy them. Also, if you've modded them to your liking, please explain to what extent. Additionally, if you no longer have them, please state why, be it because they sucked, sold them for food, lost them in a cross country move, etc.

I realize this qwest comes down really late to the party, and many of these participants may no longer frequent the TOMB anymore. But I think it'd still be cool to discover how many of these things are being dusted off for duty, thrown in a time capsule for future civilisations to wince over or cannibalised for other projects by first, second, or even fifth time owners.

Anyone here have testimony to add?? Thanks in advance :)

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes, original purchaser here of the group buy-
Bought 4 sold 2-

These mics are great and get used a lot. Typical use might be mono drum overhead, stereo pair for room (surprising deep reach and detail) and favorite use is vibrophone, rich natural sound. Only problem there is one got whacked with a stick and was dented, ok they didn't cost much.
They look very cool too, matte grey finish. Always gets curious comments because they are unbranded. Never regretted this purchase, and actually made a profit from the 2 I sold.. Keeper. If you want something close get an RCA DX 77 or a nady

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm

PS your right, I don't visit the board too often anymore.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:52 am

There was a thread about this recently.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Scodiddly wrote:There was a thread about this recently.
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... omb+ribbon