Audio Interface Advice Please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Audio Interface Advice Please

Post by casey campbell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 am

I need an interface with at least 16 channels. i dont need mic pres included in the same box. I prefer firewire and something that works with xp.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I finally went with 7/64 after years of resistance. Wish I'd jumped long before. I started with a drive if 7/32 and when uad came out with 64 bit drivers, I added an ssd, 32 gigs and wow!
The UAD Apollo 16 would do it, plus a lot more. Their plugs are real good on my UAD card. I use Reaper and Mixbus wit it, and he Focusrite Saffire i/o boxes.

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 am

Have you considered getting a used eight input unit like a MOTU 828 unit with ADAT and adding an ADAT eight channel expander? I have a MOTU 828MK2 and an Alesis AI3. Both of these can be had used for very cheap. My local Craigslist has an 896 on sale for $300 right now.
dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Been using a similar setup except it's USB rather than Firewire. Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL with a Focusrite Octopre Dynamic MKII coming in on lightpipe. Up to 16 mic pres, 4 instrument DIs, and 12 line level inputs. Half of the channels have usable compression. Good clean sound. I can always plug in a different mic pre if I need to....

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 am

JWL wrote:Been using a similar setup except it's USB rather than Firewire. Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL with a Focusrite Octopre Dynamic MKII coming in on lightpipe. Up to 16 mic pres, 4 instrument DIs, and 12 line level inputs. Half of the channels have usable compression. Good clean sound. I can always plug in a different mic pre if I need to....
thanks for all of the advice yall. i have decided to go with an 8 channel focusrite saffire with the 8 channel octopre they offer.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:55 am

casey campbell wrote:
JWL wrote:Been using a similar setup except it's USB rather than Firewire. Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL with a Focusrite Octopre Dynamic MKII coming in on lightpipe. Up to 16 mic pres, 4 instrument DIs, and 12 line level inputs. Half of the channels have usable compression. Good clean sound. I can always plug in a different mic pre if I need to....
thanks for all of the advice yall. i have decided to go with an 8 channel focusrite saffire with the 8 channel octopre they offer.
Nice play IMO, and the Octopre preamps are pretty tasty IMO. Very usable.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I think so, too. I have the Saffire 24dsp box and 40, 8 channel box. Amazing for the money. http://www.recordingreview.com/blog/rec ... back-test/ This was an easy step for me as I still have my AI3 to handle boxes, synths and other out of the box sources @ 48k, though I imagine an Octo to give me full 96k support, and to support the Apollo when it comes. I already have a UAD 2 Duo, and more plugs than I should. With Mixbus, that will give me many nice options. I plan on keeping the Saffire stuff as well.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Oh No.

Not a link to Ethan Winer's loopback test. :roll:
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:54 am

KennyLusk wrote:Oh No.

Not a link to Ethan Winer's loopback test. :roll:
Flee for the hills! :lol:

Or, take a listen to the test files and understand that quality of the converters matters a lot less than other things such as the quality of the performance, mic technique, room acoustics, etc.

If you can't make good recordings using so-called "prosumer" gear, then spending more money on high end gear won't help much.

I'm sure the OP will be able to make great recordings with the new rig....