Event Speaker Reconing Seattle?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Event Speaker Reconing Seattle?

Post by Suntower » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 am

Hi,

I have an Event ASP-8 monitor that has a buzzing woofer. It's probably 6 yrs old.

Can someone recommend a speaker reconer in this area?

TIA,

---JC

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Event Speaker Reconing Seattle?

Post by WillMorgan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

Suntower wrote:Hi,

---JC
Morgan Sound has always done a great job for me on amp and speaker repairs.

They usually have a few week wait but I think you can pay to rush work. In my experience their charges are quite reasonable.

http://www.morgansound.com/service/speaker

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:38 pm

And this is an unbiased review? :D

I'm fine either way... Thanks.

I'm just trying to get some names at this point. I can hear a slight 'fuzz' in the woofer. Not fried yet, but it's on its way.

Anyone else?

---JC
WillMorgan wrote:

---JC

They usually have a few week wait but I think you can pay to rush work. In my experience their charges are quite reasonable.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm fine either way... Thanks.

I'm just trying to get some names at this point. I can hear a slight 'fuzz' in the woofer. Not fried yet, but it's on its way.

Anyone else?

---JC
WillMorgan wrote:

---JC

WillMorgan

Post by WillMorgan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am

Forgot to mention, no relation, I swear! :-) I did try to get a discount because of the shared name but alas no joy.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:25 pm

WillMorgan wrote:And this is an unbiased review? :D

Forgot to mention, no relation, I swear! :-) I did try to get a discount because of the shared name but alas no joy.
I just wanted to say 'Thanks' for the recommendation. The guy I spoke with was really old school and gave me some good advice... actually talked himself out of the job!

It turns out it's just cheaper to replace the speakers... get matched pairs... than to recone!

Now here's the funny part: I unmounted the fuzzy speaker... just to get the procedure down... and then remounted it and... MAGIC... it stopped making the fuzzy noise! Been working just fine ever since. Absolutely no idea why.

Go figure.

---JC

WillMorgan

Post by WillMorgan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Suntower wrote:
Now here's the funny part: I unmounted the fuzzy speaker... just to get the procedure down... and then remounted it and... MAGIC... it stopped making the fuzzy noise! Been working just fine ever since. Absolutely no idea why.

Go figure.

---JC
You are most welcome, Morgan Sound is good. I'm glad you just had to wave your magic wand with a fiddle to get your speaker working! I once heard terrible banging from underneath the hood of my car, I thought I was in for a new engine. Turns out the oil change people had not screwed a spark plug back in. That taught me it is always worth looking. -w
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Well not like it matters, but I think I did figure out the 'magic'. Like many powered monitors these days, it has a power LED on the front. What they did was run the wires for this underneath the speaker mounting ring... so it's basically in contact with the rubber edge of the speaker.

My guess is that it had simply moved a little over time and would resonate at certain freqs. I think just remounting it put it back away from the mounting ring just enough to get it out of the way.

What was good about that call was that it slowed me down. What often happens (at least to me) is that we're so anxious to 'get er done' that we swing into action. But if ya just don't do -anything- and wait... often another (better) solution reveals itself.

Best,

---JC

WillMorgan wrote:
Suntower wrote:

Go figure.

---JC
You are most welcome, Morgan Sound is good. I'm glad you just had to wave your magic wand with a fiddle to get your speaker working! I once heard terrible banging from underneath the hood of my car, I thought I was in for a new engine. Turns out the oil change people had not screwed a spark plug back in. That taught me it is always worth looking. -w