Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

neat drum recording, multiple environments

Post by chconnor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:41 am

Though y'all might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-f68J5PPo

"No artificial reverb added"

"outdoor stereo take is mixed with a classic studio recording of the same drumkit"

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Good drummer + good, er, room + good tuning = great recording. Thanks for sharing that.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: neat drum recording, multiple environments

Post by jgimbel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:05 pm

chconnor wrote:"outdoor stereo take is mixed with a classic studio recording of the same drumkit"
That makes so much more sense to me. I had seen this link and it was said that there was no artificial reverb added, but I couldn't find any way one could get that close of a snare sound without any close mics, so since you don't see any in the video I figured maybe this was just all more about the visual than accurate/honest sound.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

chconnor
takin' a dinner break

Re: neat drum recording, multiple environments

Post by chconnor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:16 am

jgimbel wrote:
chconnor wrote:"outdoor stereo take is mixed with a classic studio recording of the same drumkit"
That makes so much more sense to me. I had seen this link and it was said that there was no artificial reverb added, but I couldn't find any way one could get that close of a snare sound without any close mics
Totally. Not to mention the thumping warm kick. I was about to write it off myself when I saw that comment from the account that posted the video, and I'm glad I did.

I'm not a kit drummer (though i just bought my first cymbal!), and what I'm reminded of is how *%^$*ing loud drum kits are to be exciting that kind of reverb in, e.g., open fields, fer christ's sake.

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:16 am

Ditto on almost writing this video off. There's still the one- in the open field with elevated bridge thingy in the background- where I'm not sure where the echoes came from. Maybe a wall or something behind the camera. I might just be nerding out on it. Regardless, it's a really cool video.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one questioning this video. My question is this: Would the addition of a convolution reverb recorded in the actual space they were in constitute artificial reverb?

I've heard the clear kick and snare attributed to compression, but I'm not sure I'm buying that. My friend is convinced it's faked somehow because the lighting on the drummer never changes and the folds on the carpet don't move. I'll have to check more closely on that once my Windows 8.1 decides to talk to my audio card.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm

goose134 wrote: My friend is convinced it's faked somehow because the lighting on the drummer never changes and the folds on the carpet don't move. .
Look again. The lighting does change, and is in some cases dramatically different. The folds on the carpet and the way the fringe lays out on the ends changes with each edit.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh I agree. It's my friend who thinks this.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm

oh I called bs in the video comments like last week. I figured it was a convolution. good to see they cleared it up a bit.