If I DON"T adjust the bias...and use " high output

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

If I DON"T adjust the bias...and use " high output

Post by thereminman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 pm

My machine is set for RMG 911....the retail place is out of it.
They are offering RMG900-----which is listed as 'high output'
I think the RMG911 is more like 456Ampex..as opposedto 'high output'
So, if I don't do *any*thing to my machine, and use the high-output 900...what sort of difference should be my result?
(i.e. in sound quality, noise floor, etc. etc.)....

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 pm

lot's of views, but no opinions or experiences to share?.....Will I be sad that I said "OK" to the higher bias tape?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 am

I believe you'll get a lot more saturation, and probably more smear.

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:17 am

I understand saturation...but was would 'smear' be?
(and thank you!)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 pm

thereminman wrote:I understand saturation...but was would 'smear' be?
(and thank you!)
Less clear and accurate, all the way to distorted and crunchy.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Maybe do a practice run and pay attention to your levels and see what you come up with. I had my TRS 8 set up for 499 tape and had to use some 456 and just kept the levels backed off and everything seemed ok. What tape machine are you using?
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Capt. Tripps Ballsington
audio school graduate

Post by Capt. Tripps Ballsington » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:28 pm

I see this was a month ago, so you've probably already done the recording, but I believe you're talking about using a +9 tape on a machine set up for +6. You won't notice any difference at all. It just means you're not taking advantage of the full level the RMG900 is capable of. You could hit the tape a bit harder than you normally do with no adverse affects if you like, but it might be hard to get an accurate idea of the actual tape levels if the meters are always peaking.
Using RMG911 on a machine set up for 900 - +6 tape on a +9 machine - would get you an overdose of saturation and tape compression.

BradL8068
audio school

Post by BradL8068 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 pm

You have two issues with these tapes. 1) What level your machine is aligned for. 2)Biasing setting for the tape.
As the last person mentioned level is not an issue. The 900 can take a higher level then the 911 ( always bothered me how rmg numbered these) BUT
The bias is different, so using the same alignment will most likely change two things. 1) the frequency response of the recording will be off, I don't know by how much. The only way to know is to run tone through the machine. I would guess within 1-2 db.
and because the bias is wrong the level will be affected as well. Again I don't think by a large margin, a guess off by a db. So it will work, but it will not sound as perfect as if you had the correct tape. You may like it you may not, but it will change the sound.
Brad
Brad Leigh, leighaudio.blogspot.com, leighaudio.com

Capt. Tripps Ballsington
audio school graduate

Post by Capt. Tripps Ballsington » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 am

Good info, Brad.
Curious if you've noticed bias settings being much different between 900 and 911 tape? My bias settings seem to remain pretty constant when realigning for different tape. Modern tapes, while less reliably manufactured than older stock, have seemed fairly forgiving on bias levels.

BradL8068
audio school

Post by BradL8068 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 am

I'll see if I have both 900 and 911 around to see the difference.
My thinking is 911 to 900 is like 499 to 456 such a different animal that the bias would be reasonably different, but you may be right I'll see if I can give it a test.
Brad
Brad Leigh, leighaudio.blogspot.com, leighaudio.com

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

The 900 tape will be "underbiased" on your machine.This will give you an exaggerated,(brighter), top end with an increase in distortion-which you may like.I've had clients that use the higher output tapes that don't want their machine re-biased correctly because they like the way it sounds-and it's always all about the sound.
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"

tmoneygetpaid
audio school graduate

Post by tmoneygetpaid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 pm

As I understand it, high-output tape (911 is "+6" to 900's "+9") would actually be harder to saturate. The higher output level means the tape can take more fluxivity (level) without pushing into the tape compression and saturation territories.

Here's RMGi's chart for overbias levels. If you're machine is operating at 30ips the overbias levels are actually the same. But tape varies from batch to batch even inside formulas, so if you want accurate frequency response, rebias.