Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Get offa my lawn:)

Jim Dickinson on Self Producing.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORZtpC_T5A

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

:x :( :oops: :lol:

I can sure see this! At the least, he makes a excellent case for an outside producer.

I try and take my time, try and get some emotional and temporal and memory distance ...

Far as this goes, I'm just the bassist (some BV's), and actually playing fairly simple songs where I don't know much beyond the bass parts that, granted, I wrote to the completed songs. I'm really as much the producer playing bass, as the bassist producing here.

What doesn't mean I don't self-produce (ain't that sound dirty? :twisted: ) constantly ...

Love his war stories! Rubber Soul, the Rolling Stones, etc., indeed! 8)

In the end, this is a labour of love, not $, and I'm havin' a blast, even with some frustration along the way.

Thanks for the great link!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 am

There are a bunch of those Dickinson videos on that Youtube channel. They are all great to watch. He helped me a lot over the years. I too occasionally self produce but when I do I really try to think as I would when I'm producing a band.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:17 am

One thing about this project that I'm finding helpful is the lack of pressure to do it fast, coupled with the desire by every one to do it right, and our ability to negotiate expectations as to what is "right"..

I have done up to 12 mixes of a cuppla songs, 320kps mp3'd 'em and e-mailed 'em off, and gotten quick feedback, what is very helpful. The primary issue, as I have stated, has been the kick ...

So I hafta larf as I tell you that we jammed at the drummer's house the other night and went up stairs to listen to the mixes on his best playback, only to find it's a off-brand shelf system with a different brand sub woofer, and he's cranking it. :x

Wait!

It gets better!

The shelf system has EQ pre-sets and his was set on "hip-hop." :shock:

Wait!

It gets better!

His teenage son was present and as the son is also a drummer, I learned that his father (my drummer) has been entertaining the son's opinion. What's he drum? Death metal.

I cannot make this up! :lol:

So I disabled the sub, put the EQ pre-set on "flat", turned the the shelf system down to a reasonable volume and he had to agree that the mixes are balanced.

Please, everyone, whatever you do tonight, raise one to me and my patience! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Well, here's how it ended up:

Image <---click

1. Intro 00:06
2. Soul Mate 04:16
3. Rock & Roll Cat 05:25
4. Doncha' Stop 03:26