Monotribe Issues

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Monotribe Issues

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Does anyone out there have a Korg Monotribe?
If so, have you successfully updated the firmware to system 2?? How the #%^*+ did you do it???

I've tried what seems like everything for two years-- different versions of the update file, different file types (both M4A and WAV), different playback devices (three different computers and an iPod), all different incrementally-adjusted playback volume levels... All to No Avail... What gives????

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Wow, nobody??

I guess I struggle on with version 1...

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:05 pm

not sure if you are using a MAC, but have you tried it on a PC? My old KORG multitrack had a file extraction program that it claimed was MAC compatible, but it wouldn't work. I tried it on a friends PC and it worked like a charm.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey Otto,

The only computer I haven't tried is a Mac, although I did try the iPod. Three different PC's though, one a nearly brand new laptop.

I've heard converting the file to .Wav format would do it, but that did nothing for me as well.

GJ
Gregg Juke

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:50 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey Otto,

The only computer I haven't tried is a Mac, although I did try the iPod. Three different PC's though, one a nearly brand new laptop.

I've heard converting the file to .Wav format would do it, but that did nothing for me as well.

GJ
Mine came with version 2, I haven't tried the update that adds C/V control yet because I don't really need it. I can help you if you want to do the bass drum decay mod or MIDI out mod. I have mine sync'd to a DR-55 and the MIDI out is driving a Meeblip, the other day I used the through on the JUNO-106 to use it and the meeblip and it sounded great!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 am

Cool DP! Yeah, I'm not looking to MIDI the Mono just yet; I'm actually driving the Volca keys via an Alesis SR-16, then I go sync out from the Volca to sync in on the Monotribe and it locks just fine. I'd like some of those version 2 features though (S&H), and I'd love to have CV too... :(

GJ
Gregg Juke

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Cool DP! Yeah, I'm not looking to MIDI the Mono just yet; I'm actually driving the Volca keys via an Alesis SR-16, then I go sync out from the Volca to sync in on the Monotribe and it locks just fine. I'd like some of those version 2 features though (S&H), and I'd love to have CV too... :(

GJ
If you want the out it's easy, just a couple of resistors and some drilling for jacks, if you want the IN, the kit is the way to go, it has both and it just plugs in. With my decay I didn't put a pot in, I just chose a resistor that sounded good and put it in. I have the DR-55 for the quick thud, so the tribe has a little more boom now.

If I get a chance tonight I'll try to update to the CV firmware just to see if I can do it. The S&H is totally worth it! I think I might have one of the first batches to go out with V2 because when I bought it there was just a slip of paper in the box explaining V2.

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Yup i was able to update to the second to last release, the one with S&H (which is fricking awesome). I was on a pc, worked first time, dont remember doing anything special. i got the midi kit and it's great. Maybe i'll update to the CV one and let you know how it goes. Also cool that there is an option to switch to either type of CV, works on a MS20 or a Microbrute!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Dang; I want it, I WANT IT.

Maybe I could talk to Korg directly? The only answers I'm getting from the Korg-boards and such are "keep trying," but seriously, I've tried it a lot and I don't think it's going to work without some professional help...

GJ
Gregg Juke

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Success once more!

Post by austingreen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Just adding an update. I was able to update to 2.11, the one with CV. This is my second successful update. I had two fails this time though, both times it was not loud enough, which is the opposite problem I had last time. Also I was trying to update or load some patches to some synth awhile back using Wavelab, not going well, on a lark I tried VLC media player and it worked fine. So I've been using VLC for all my updates over an audio signal since then. Again I'm on a PC, playing with VLC (this time with volume at 100%, first time worked at 75%) through my motu 828 interface/headphone out at -14db. I'm adding all the extra detail just in case, there's a solution here somewhere!?!?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks man. When I get the gonas I may try again; it's just been such a let-down after the last several hundred tries...

GJ
Gregg Juke

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 am

FWIW, I have a overseas buddy sends me *.wav files he does on his old Mac, that I can't open in my old DAW, (CEP2.1).

So I open them in the freebie prog Wavosaur and then just hit "save" and they work in my DAW.

My point?

I think some programs treat, mebbe, file headers just slightly different enuff that they can have different results, as I think austingreen's post also mebbe illustrates.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Something I'll have to consider as I'm messing about, vvv.
I have tried a couple of different file formats (as was suggested on the Korg boards), but I haven't tried any "different" types of .wavs-- saving in different programs or trying a Sound Forge "Scott" .wav, whatever that is...

GJ
Gregg Juke