Pres without output control -> DAW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cirrusoxide
audio school graduate

Pres without output control -> DAW

Post by cirrusoxide » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi all,
I am upgrading my front end, which will include a few 500 pres and a RME Fireface UCX (currently on its way.)

My question: some 500 series pres I am looking at lack separate output level control or attenuation (Warm Audio, BLA, etc.) As I am likely to want to drive the inputs on these pres, am I likely to have problems managing levels on the RME side? I haven't seen or used TotalMix yet.

Thanks!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:01 pm

I posted about this recently; see here.

As a update, I have a DRL STP-1 Stick-On what I wired into my patchbay. I always run my Altec 1589b into it, sometimes other stuff, and I like it a lot. I especially like that I got it used offa the E-bog for under US$20. :twisted:

Little Labs has the Redcloud, and there is the A-Designs Atty stuff, and a few others like the Nano where it's kinda marketed as a monitor controller ...

Also, some people use mic attenuators that they put after the pre - my problem is I wanted to stay unbalanced.

And I note that while it may or may not be cool to have adjustable attenuation, I read in a few places that -20db is kinda a "sweet spot". Further, the lack of a pot makes settings that much easier to repeat.

Go to the above link tho' and you can learn how to DIY one, also. I'm gonna do one soon, m'thinks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 pm

If your 500 series rack has xlr outputs, you can put an inline attenuator of 10 or 20 dB right after it, with a small xlr cable, like 1-3 ft long.

Cheers

https://www.google.com/search?q=xlr+att ... nt=firefox
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:04 am

vvv wrote:And I note that while it may or may not be cool to have adjustable attenuation, I read in a few places that -20db is kinda a "sweet spot".
If'n the mic pre is meant to be run at gains which brings the averages up to +4dbu nominal level, then it probably ends up somewhere in the +20dbu range when it's crunching good. That'll be really damn close to the 0dbfs point on your interface, and -20db will be just about right to bring back down to a sane nominal level. No?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 am

If you say so! :lol:

I can say that my pre's just somehow sound better, or at least a little different, when cranked, what the pad helps with (whatever the numbers :D ).

I am in the middle of a album project and we recorded guitars in my little bedio studio.

The bedio is mebbe 15' x 20' or so.

We used various amps including a Pro,Jr., a Rickenbacker M8, a Musicman HD130 thru a 2x12" open-back Celestion cab, and a 50w. Marshall Jubilee combo.

I close mic'd all of the amps (cloth to 6" variation) with various mic's but used a ISA1 for some consistency of sounds.

But each amp was also mic'd by a mod'd MXL R144 left in the same location in the room about 4' away from the amp wall, run thru a Altec 1589b max'd thru the STD-1 pad.

Loved it! 8)

My next experiment is gonna be to use the pad after various compressors (ex., a Pro VLA II, a Meek, a RNC, a 1176 clone. I'm thinkin' on the tranny and the tube pieces, at least, it may sound cool. Mebbe even on the opto's ...)
Last edited by vvv on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:15 am

And to keep this discussion on topic, lemme note that I think there's a usable difference in sound when using the attenuator pad with a pre that has output control, ex, the ISA1 (what has a switch) or Summit 2BA-221 or even a Eureka.

But especially on the Altec what doesn't, like the OP's 500 series stuff, it's very helpful, mebbe essential depending on how you interface if yer ITB.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 pm

You should be able to manage the gain in the RME's control panel without further ado.
Check the online manual. Good luck.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I think Little Labs makes an 8-channel attenuator box.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 pm

vvv wrote: Little Labs has the Redcloud, ....
There's a TapeOp review, here. Kinda pricey, and it uses DB25 connectors.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

silentsky
audio school

Post by silentsky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 pm

accordion squeezist wrote:You should be able to manage the gain in the RME's control panel without further ado.
If I'm not mistaken, TotalMix's faders will control the level of the input channels for monitoring purposes, but does not actually affect the level seen at the inputs, and therefore the level that gets recorded. You can switch between +4 or -10 on the hardware units (either with a switch or using internal jumpers or dip switches on older models), but I think that's it as far as setting the input levels.
Jon
Silent Sky Studios
http://silentsky.net

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm

silentsky wrote:
accordion squeezist wrote:You should be able to manage the gain in the RME's control panel without further ado.
If I'm not mistaken, TotalMix's faders will control the level of the input channels for monitoring purposes, but does not actually affect the level seen at the inputs, and therefore the level that gets recorded. You can switch between +4 or -10 on the hardware units (either with a switch or using internal jumpers or dip switches on older models), but I think that's it as far as setting the input levels.
This is correct. TM (TotalMix) is fully digital - It only affects the post ADC signal, and TM's input section (top row) has no effect on the level sent to the ASIO Driver (fader only affects the selected submix in TM).

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Heya, Randyman!

Haven't sen ya post inna while; you still hang at the Planet?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 pm

What's up VVV! I see you posting all over the place here! It's like I'm at the VSP circa 2007 or so :) I lurk over there once a week or so, but haven't posted in ages...

See you around this awesome board... :cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:40 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:If your 500 series rack has xlr outputs, you can put an inline attenuator of 10 or 20 dB right after it, with a small xlr cable, like 1-3 ft long.

Cheers

https://www.google.com/search?q=xlr+att ... nt=firefox
I just built my own pads so I could slam my Shure M267s and push my Neumann v476b's harder. There is a calculator http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/ You can build them right inside cables, just make sure you mark the cables.