The evil damage what's been done

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

The evil damage what's been done

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

I ranted somewhere on here (edit: here) about liking used gear more than new because I don't fear damaging it whilst rocking out.

And yet, it still hurts when I damage something used.

The other day, I knocked a 2" dia. ceramic skull candle-holder offa monitor stack, and it bounced against the plexi face of the meter on my Meek VC1Q, leaving about a 1/3" x 1/16" scratch. :x

It's just cosmetic, but damn annoying.

I guess mebbe I oughta think twice about any Satan-worship, y'know? :twisted:

So, tell us about some gear damage you done.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:53 pm

That's called 'aging', they say custom shop, and charge extra for new shit...lol. I'm 62 and have a different viewpoint. At best, time makes it "Vintage" like me :lol: Go down to a river or lake and go fishing , or go hunting for something not in a store...you'll get over it the "golden years" aren't after you're 60...and I'm still good. I just don't have a sales reason to tell you that 60 is the new 40.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Oh, you mean like the time I'd just finished putting together The Best Guitar I've Ever Built with a beautiful, unblemished Korean Squier maple neck (the best non-USA, non-MIJ neck I've ever played), and recorded a whole project in my basement with it, and didn't have any straplocks b/c I didn't think I cared about the guitar until I finished the last take on the last song, and realized I did care, an instant before realizing exactly why I needed straplocks?

Needless to say, it landed headstock-first.

All it did was add some ugly, but boy did I feel like a C.H.U.D.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

But I think this misses the more important issue: was the skull candle-holder OK?

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Hmm... also, you might be able to buff that scratch out with some Novus polish or similar. Or not.

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:But I think this misses the more important issue: was the skull candle-holder OK?
Yes, thankfully, our losses were thus mitigated.

I suspect the scratch is permanent, tho'.

And not two minutes ago, I knocked my MIJ Jaco bass into a sideboard, (too dark in there to check for damage without waking the kids).

I need a house roadie. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Orpheus
ass engineer

Re: The evil damage what's been done

Post by Orpheus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:19 pm

vvv wrote:I ranted somewhere on here (edit: here) about liking used gear more than new because I don't fear damaging it whilst rocking out.

And yet, it still hurts when I damage something used.

The other day, I knocked a 2" dia. ceramic skull candle-holder offa monitor stack, and it bounced against the plexi face of the meter on my Meek VC1Q, leaving about a 1/3" x 1/16" scratch. :x

It's just cosmetic, but damn annoying.

I guess mebbe I oughta think twice about any Satan-worship, y'know? :twisted:

So, tell us about some gear damage you done.
Nah man, that's just the tax. "Destroy your resale value for Satan"!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:44 pm

I was gonna post a litany of minor disasters here, but I don't really wanna relive the pain and anger.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Pain and anger can be inspiring, tho'.

I use it, a lot.

As for disaster ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

DokorderFreq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DokorderFreq » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 am

I've had a pair of Utah 10" speakers lying on their backs in my shop for a while now. They have aluminum coil covers and were in perfect shape. Well, one day I went looking for something or another to use on anther project, and while searching & shifting stuff an object fell off the shelf & dropped off center of one of the aluminum coil covers, leaving a sizeable dent. The speakers are now faced upside down, but I still feel disappointment from that bonehead move. I'd like to try fixing it somehow but every idea I come up with faces doubt before I make attempts. I know of another speaker cone I poked a hole into. Easily repaired, but no longer perfect thanks to me. I have poor luck handling speakers I guess :(

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 am

Don't know if I ever told this story before, but many years ago, my wife left me. 8)

First thing I did next day was buy a digital recorder what I could afford, a Boss BR8 (my previous being a Tascam 238).

So I get out my nice Hamer American and a drum machine and a cheap bass and a 57 and I record a song in about 2 hours, and it rocked.

I was so happy, and a little drunk, I tossed my Hamer in the air and it hit the ceiling, fell to the floor and snapped the set neck right out out the body. :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:01 pm

this isn't damage, but damage overted....when I was an interning during college, i was asked to set up drum mics and I launched a md421 off the stand like a missile. I picked it up quickly and luckily there was no damage. I put it up carefully with the other mics and pretended nothing happend...the recording went fine. :)

Now I always double check how I'm holding those clips when I'm placing an md 421, always paranoid and half expecting it to launch.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 pm

I got paper clips jammed in the mount of my 421's for exactly that reason.

Another new/old story:

My fave guitar is a G&L F-100 I've had for about 25 years. At a gig in the early 90's I cut my index finger playing funk rhythm, actually had a abrasion above the nail such that as I played blood was spattering under strings.

It's still there, right there on that guitar; I'm sure it'll never come off.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 pm

ott0bot wrote:this isn't damage, but damage overted....when I was an interning during college, i was asked to set up drum mics and I launched a md421 off the stand like a missile. I picked it up quickly and luckily there was no damage. I put it up carefully with the other mics and pretended nothing happend...the recording went fine. :)

Now I always double check how I'm holding those clips when I'm placing an md 421, always paranoid and half expecting it to launch.
Sliver of guitar pick or cable tie:

My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 pm

jgimbel wrote:
ott0bot wrote:this isn't damage, but damage overted....when I was an interning during college, i was asked to set up drum mics and I launched a md421 off the stand like a missile. I picked it up quickly and luckily there was no damage. I put it up carefully with the other mics and pretended nothing happend...the recording went fine. :)

Sliver of guitar pick or cable tie:

good idea. better than the duct tape solution I've seen on a few of them.

I did have a pappet clip lodged in there, like vvv said, but if fell out somewhere and never bothers to put it back in.